Image Map Image Map

Thread: Can I install a software from windows 3.1 in windows XP?

Default Can I install a software from windows 3.1 in windows XP?

Hi, Does anyone know the answer?
    I hv a vintage computer running windows 3.1 and the software is running in that OS.
    The old PC is using ISA card.
    I need to transfer it to a windows XP environment.

Anybody can help me, please?

It's not guaranteed, but in general, yes (assuming 32-bit XP... I'm pretty sure it won't work on 64-bit).

Blog Entries

What software is it? With 32-bit XP, there are several cases where it may not work. If the software uses VXDs (to talk with an ISA card for example), the software will not run under XP. If the software relies on a specific version of a DLL, XP may have a different version installed and the Win 3.1 program may not work.

It is possible to load a complete Windows 3.1 session with virtual machine software to run many applications that don't like XP if no hardware access is needed. Tracking down an XP supporting version of virtual software may take a bit of searching.

Yeah, it depends on whether the software has any particularly special requirements (XP is less strict about hardware fiddling than 2k, but much moreso than 9x,) but in general the answer is usually "yes."
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cfdee View Post
    I hv a vintage computer running windows 3.1 and the software is running in that OS.
    The old PC is using ISA card.
    I need to transfer it to a windows XP environment.
    Does the Windows 3.1 software require any special ISA card hardware running on the old system?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)