Image Map Image Map

Thread: keyboard ghouls - cast your vote for the coolest keyboard

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Default keyboard ghouls - cast your vote for the coolest keyboard

It's actually not for ghouls. Just regular joes. I don't care about switches either. Just what k/b is the coolest and why.

I'll give my opinion/s somewhere down the thread.

2. Post

I'm torn - it's hard to separate the overall machine from its keyboard. It's also hard to separate looks from usability.

The Sinclair QL
    For pure aesthetics I've always thought that Sinclair made great looking keyboards and think that the QL's is particularly cool. It isn't great to use unfortunately.

The Archimedes A3010
    For usability along with looks I would go for an Archimedes keyboard and think the A3010 is the best looking of all of them. They're great to use, they have the CTRL key in the correct place, but unfortunately as a UK user some of the other keys are in the wrong place (the same is true for the QL keyboard): , #, ", ~, etc.

UNISYS PCK104-SKB / KB-6926
    It may not look cool, but for pure usability I love this keyboard. It feels great, is really comfortable to use and makes a nice, but not too loud, click each time I press a key. The only thing I would change about this keyboard is moving the CTRL key to the correct place (where the CapsLock is currently). I've had it for what feels like about 20 years (I'm not sure exactly how long) and still use it everyday via an AT to PS/2 adapter. I'm not sure what I will do when I replace my motherboard as presumably my next one won't have a PS/2 keyboard connector

I'm really interested to see what other keyboards people come up with.

Best wishes

Lorry
    Last edited by Lawrence Woodman; March 29th, 2020 at 01:28 AM.
    TechTinkering : Website / YouTube (Retro computers, VIC-20, CP/M, Programming)
    Latest Video: The Mouse Programming Language on CP/M

I'm really not into keyboards very much but the only ones I use on a regular basis are a model F AT I dug out of a pile of scrap and cleaned up, a model M that came with one of my PS/2's or an NMB with clicky space invaders switches. As far as aesthetics I think my favorite might be the one in my Monroe OC8820 or those old Zenith ones with the lighning bolt logo

I loved the look of the QL, too, though I've never owned one. The ZX Spectrum Next looks similar (designed by the same guy), and the keyboard is said to work much better -- although I don't have that, either.

For form and function, my classic Macintosh keyboards:

I'm kinda loving the Apple Desktop Bus keyboards (aka Apple II GS keyboards) right now, for the feel, the look, and the compactness. The layout's not great, though (the cursor key arrangement is dire). Arguably my very best keyboard is the Apple Extended Keyboard -- feels great, works great -- but it's a tad unwieldy.

I used to favor a black Unicomp Model M, but it's PS/2, and I'm having a hard time adapting it to USB.

Define "cool".

If you mean "the Darth Vader of keyboards", I'd go with the Teletype Model 40 or Billings 6000. The Memotech MTX is "cool" too.

I think my IBM 3278 looks "cool" too:

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Amiga500 View Post
    Define "cool".
    You define cool. Refead op.

Blog Entries

Videobrain. Because who needs an Enter key when you have MASTER CONTROL

PSfNNux_d.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
    I used to favor a black Unicomp Model M, but it's PS/2, and I'm having a hard time adapting it to USB.
    I use a twin-tail USB to PS/2 Model M keyboard and IBM ScrollPoint mouse with my eServer xSeries 365 without troubles.