Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uefi/safe boot/legacy

Blog Entries

Default Uefi/safe boot/legacy

Back late last summer I decided to build a new main gamer. Nothing exotic, just an Asus X570-F, Ryzen 5 3600, and 32 GB RAM. All of the other components were fairly new. The build was successful and all went well except for W10; it detected that there was a new/different motherboard and want me to 'reactivate', so I did, or at least I tried. It wouldn't reactive for what ever reason and even the Microsoft crew couldn't figure it out. I wound up buying a new, legal, W10 Pro package at very good discount and went ahead and activated it for the new build.

Everything was fine with the system and I used the W7 backup utility to make a system image at regular intervals. The other day I decided to load up a saved system image back-in and booted with a W10 repair CD. When I clicked on the image file location W10 came back with "Invalid System Image". It was telling me that my saved image was not an EFI file system. Of course it wasn't as W10 saves everything in NTFS by default.

Here's where I made a huge mistake: When I setup the Asus UEFI BIOS, all the drives were selected as "Legacy". However, some how or some way I must have toggled the "Secure" boot routine, the one fostered by Intel as a "must have" for the future. It booted and reacted as any normal OS should - never had any operational problems with it. There is a lot out on web about this problem as it seems MS dropped the ball as far as a compatible backup routine for UEFI/EFI file systems. But I take full responsibility as I should have been a little more knowledgeable concerning UEFI setup procedures.

I understand the system could have been converted back to NTFS, but it seemed a little too involved. So, I took the easy way out and just reinstalled, and now everything is NTFS front to back.

Be careful out there.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

This issue has plagues me in different ways. I have an old Asus sub notebook that although has a 64 bit atom had 32 bit 8.1 installed initially. I hopped on the 10 bandwagon - then immediately forgot my pw. I tried a few "solutions", nothing worked. Tried to reinstall 8.1, not the actual image supplied by Asus, but downloaded from M$. Still problems.

More recently I cloned the ssd with clonezilla. I've since reinstalled 10, and it seems that image is good. But I still don't have a working 10 install. Bougjt some other snake oil on ebay less then a week ago, have yet to try it. The first Linaches distro I got to boot (from usb) was bionic puppy. But ... It won't install to the ssd. It is a working environment (ram only) but wifi won't work. I tried to install Pop, Kali ... no workee. Hiren's no workee either.

The issue of getting something, anything to boot only materialized when I tried to install 7. In red letters "bootia32.efi is missing", a paraphrase. Which should have been located in root/efi/boot (for linux). You can't simply drop such a random named file, it's specific to each windows/linux (i think it may be a bash script). Even on other laptops various linux distros won't install.

I have to laugh when Linus Torvalds states the reason Linux hasn't taken over thw desktop is because people don't want to install an os. Well, that may be partly true. To elaborate further, they don't want to install an os that doesn't work. What could be the point. And somehow millions of phones have their os updated periodically, and automatically.

Blog Entries

Not directly related to your problem, but I had a Linux partition installed on this new machine just for a look-see awhile back. I soon tired of it and uninstalled it, or so I thought. I was able to whack the GRUB boot menu on the POST and I thought it was all gone. Not so - if I pulled up the UEFI boot options there it was. This didn't present much of a problem other than the fact that it still existed. Later, while poking around in 'Disk Manager', I discovered a Linux boot partition of a little over 500 MB on the C drive. None of the W10 built-in tools could remove it, so I just put it in the back of my mind. When I reinstalled W10 a few days ago, the Linux partition disappeared, as it should, with a clean install. So, you may want to take a good look at your hard drive and see if there is any Linux cruft left lurking. Lesson learned for me is never try to co-habitate Linux with anything in the W10 environment.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; April 1st, 2020 at 08:20 AM.

Blog Entries

Went back and reread #1 again. I'm thinking you might be battling with a GPT partition (not that they're a bad thing). UEFI/EFI seem to go hand in hand and that's why you can't install on that SSD - the old apples & oranges saw. Like me, you're going to have to level the playing field and go one or the other - EFI vs MBR.

Yeah ain't that some crap. I had lilo ruin a brand new drive years ago, or so I thought. There are 2 virtues you must be aware of when messing with puters. Patience - don't assume nothing is going on, even if it seems that way. The other is persistent repetition. If no workee on first try, keep trying. Crazy non install issues are not specific to linux. Cast off into the windows server world and see how picky that can be.

But I still don't get it
    Last edited by tipc; April 1st, 2020 at 11:07 AM.

diskpart /?

Blog Entries

I have to laugh when Linus Torvalds states the reason Linux hasn't taken over thw desktop is because people don't want to install an os. Well, that may be partly true. To elaborate further, they don't want to install an os that doesn't work. What could be the point. And somehow millions of phones have their os updated periodically, and automatically.
    Android's kernel is based on the Linux kernel's long-term support (LTS) branches. As of 2020, Android uses versions 4.4, 4.9 or 4.14 of the Linux kernel. The actual kernel depends on the individual device.
    So you don't like Linux, but you like Android?

Puppy is based on a very old model, so hardware support is pretty much limited. The idea is that it fits into a small amount of space.

I've been running Debian and Ubuntu for years and get updates quite regularly without issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Those nine words are quite a mouthful!
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post

Puppy is based on a very old model, so hardware support is pretty much limited. The idea is that it fits into a small amount of space.

I've been running Debian and Ubuntu for years and get updates quite regularly without issues.
    Regarding your assessment of what I like and don't like, you got it backwards.

Puppy was the first iso I managed to boot on this thing. If you're stating it doesn't like sata devices, well then that's real frikkin old. Like Red Hat 7.0 old.

Lubuntu could be a possibility. I need something ligjtweigjt. Pop did seemingly install. But when you bring it back up the closest you get to creating a uset account is doing a repair of the install, as it acknowledges there is a installation at least. In fact that install isn't even bootable iirc. You have to once again boot off the cd.

I just want a linux installation I can use. So far the closest thing I have that runs is puppy. But it won't install.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Forbes View Post
    diskpart /?
    You can't mix UEFI/EFI with MBR/NTFS and expect it to come together as one happy family. If you do, you'll end up with a kludge and your backup/restore functions just went down the tubes. If you have W7/W8/W10 and are using a UEFI BIOS, make sure you know which direction you want to take and carefully map out a plan.