Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uefi/safe boot/legacy

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Be careful out there.
    To clear things up:

-CSM/Legacy Mode requires that the boot drive use the MBR partition map. The onboard firmware cannot start a MBR partition map drive in UEFI mode.

-UEFI Mode requires that the boot drive use the new GUID partition map. Microsoft enforces this quite well as if you want to boot an existing MBR formatted drive, you have to convert it to GUID partition map first if you want to use UEFI booting.

-Microsoft's "Secure Boot" requires UEFI Mode booting can only be enabled if the CSM/Legacy Mode is DISABLED ENTIRELY. The BIOS setup should enforce this (CSM should disable automatically if Secure Boot is turned on).

-An added wrinkle: Many cheapo x86 tablets and netbooks come with UEFI firmware that can only boot 32-bit operating systems even though the CPUs support x64. Linux had a problem with this for a while since originally all UEFI firmware was x64 only (Apple was an exception on early x86 machines, but those were early EFI). You can blame Microsoft for this one.

Blog Entries

You clearly stated/reiterated what I've read in the past about UEFI/CSM/Legacy/GPT/FAT etc. Do I have a deep professional understanding? No. Am I able to install W10 to my liking and have it run all my apps? Yes.

The UEFI security this and that pitch, for the personal PC, is like buying a home alarm system if you live in a hut on desert island. It's probably very good if you're in the business arena and/or do a lot of networking. My box won't pass Microsoft scrutiny, as I run W10 in the legacy mode so it's compatible with everything else in my house. My past problem had nothing to do with boot procedure, as the system ran just fine. The problem arose when the Window 10 'W7 backup app' did it its job making a system image, but the Asus UEFI would not let me load it back in. In my thinking, MS should have had that base covered. Why would MS offer a support app that does not or can't get the job done. They should have at least advised that the W7 backup only works with MBR. I don't think I'm alone here as this is the reason the major board suppliers still offer a legacy mode. If and when that changes I'll probably 'see the light' and change with it. Let's be honest; how many people are currently using GPT?
    Last edited by Agent Orange; April 3rd, 2020 at 12:13 PM.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by njroadfan View Post
    -An added wrinkle: Many cheapo x86 tablets and netbooks come with UEFI firmware that can only boot 32-bit operating systems even though the CPUs support x64. Linux had a problem with this for a while since originally all UEFI firmware was x64 only (Apple was an exception on early x86 machines, but those were early EFI). You can blame Microsoft for this one.
    There are quite a few junk laptops with broken firmware that won't let you disable secure boot, HP being the most notorious for this.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    There are quite a few junk laptops with broken firmware that won't let you disable secure boot, HP being the most notorious for this.
    It's not in front of me but uim you can turn off secure boot on the Asus x205t but there's no provision for legacy mode.

Some of the issues I've been having are not specific to that model ("broken" uefi or 32 bit uefi on 64 bit proc). I don't recall if I've tried to boot anything 64 bit on it. But again it's not the only unit I've failed to get a working linux environment on. I don't really care about the asus too much, it's old. But I should think something would run on it. Maybe there's a hardware issue.