Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM PS/2 Model 30-286 won't boot from floppy

Default IBM PS/2 Model 30-286 won't boot from floppy

I bought an IBM PS/2 Model 30-286 (8530-E21), everything is in working condition except... Previous owner erased command.com from C:\ so it cannot boot from C: I put in a model 30 reference diskette but will not boot. Any clues ? BTW floppy diskette is ok. I had read that if CMOS battery is low (and maybe configuration is missing) it won't boot from floppy. Thank you very much guys !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HunterEC View Post
    I bought an IBM PS/2 Model 30-286 (8530-E21), everything is in working condition except... Previous owner erased command.com from C:\ so it cannot boot from C: I put in a model 30 reference diskette but will not boot. Any clues ? BTW floppy diskette is ok. I had read that if CMOS battery is low (and maybe configuration is missing) it won't boot from floppy. Thank you very much guys !!!!
    From Louis's master site:
    http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/8530/...86_Planar.html
    your RTC/CMOS chip is a Dallas DS1287. These have a built-in battery cell which may well be flat by now. Either find a replacement or sustitute, or do the mod. to add an external coin cell. There are lots of YouTube videos about this and web pages too.
    The IBM PS/2 BIOSes should "test" the Floppy Drive and, eventually, figure out if it's a 720KB or 1.44MB after possibly quite some time, when the RTC/CMOS battery is flat and the configuration data lost.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterEC View Post
    BTW floppy diskette is ok.
    How has this been determined?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Try disconnecting the hard drive entirely and forget the reference diskette. Then get a copy of DOS that can fit on a single floppy, like DOS 3.3 and see if that boots. That should at least narrow down the possibilities of what's going on. If that doesn't work, try replacing the battery as others have said. It will probably need to get replaced at some point anyways so it's not a huge loss if that doesn't turn out to be the problem. That said, if that isn't it then I would suspect the floppy drive itself, or maybe even an issue with the power supply.
    Looking for: IBM dot matrix printer, 1986 silver badge model M, EMS ISA memory cards

in my experience with my PS/2 model 30 286, it will not boot with a dead Dallas RTC. (DO NOT buy one from china via eBay, it will most likely be dead as they are used) The computer will not boot. it will simply give the error for a dead battery.

The floppy drives are also extremely questionable in these machines. they almost always need to be re-capped. I have probably a dozen PS/2 floppy drives now and 1 of them works. (that's because its from a newer IBM Point of sale system) The caps either dry out, or leak their electrolyte all over the circuit board. either way they cause interesting behavior, but a non functional drive.

The floppy drive in my P70 worked when i got it, but the reference disk complained that the drive speed was off, and sure enough shortly afterwards it stopped working entirely.