Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 95 not shutting.

Blog Entries

Early implementations of ACPI and APM were often buggy and WIn95's implmentation as well. See here and also the Device Manager (try to disable the APM driver).

With no APM, you should at least be able to get to the "It's safe to turn your system off" message.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Some of the proposed debugging steps are for ACPI soft shutdown.

Quite literally anything can stop Windows 9x from showing the "you may now shut off your computer", including the graphic that displays the message being corrupt.

In most cases, by the time it hangs on a black screen, most everything important has already been killed. I've had this issue on many machines over a vast number of different configurations, and in most cases if the graphic is never shown, its fine to just power the machine off.
    Not my case. ALL times I turned off the computer without the "right" screen, I had the advise at next startup, with the HD tests...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Early implementations of ACPI and APM were often buggy and WIn95's implmentation as well. See here and also the Device Manager (try to disable the APM driver).

With no APM, you should at least be able to get to the "It's safe to turn your system off" message.
    Thank you for this info... I did not think about this possibility.
    In this specific case I have found out that the issue arose from the netcard, from conflicts between driver... I have discovered that the drivers of the 3Com netcard (at least for my card) are bad beast!

Drivers in Windows 95 were a mess. In addition to having VxDs, it also supported 16 bit Windows 3.x drivers. OSR 2 added support for WDM drivers as well, so there's a potential bouillabaisse of nonsense that can happen.