Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 95 not shutting.

Default Windows 95 not shutting.

Dear All,

I have just finished installing Windows 95 on my "power 486" (also solving a USB issue thanks to this forum).
    But the computer has one last issue... does not shut down: I do not get the screen "you can turn off the computer"!
    I remember that sometime this could happen and it happened again.
    Any memory on how to solve this problem?

I have Windows 95C WITHOUT Plus!
    I have installed DirectX 6.1.

Thank you

That is a very common problem with Windows 95. Sometimes updating drivers, and applying networking updates (DUN1.4) might make it go away.

Can you use "exit to dos" rather than shut down?

You might try disabling power management in the BIOS, in case it is getting confused trying to automatically power down the system.

95C? You didn't happen to let it install IE 4 and the overactive desktop did you? There was a documented problem shutting down on some machines when the IE desktop was installed. I can't remember if installing IE 5.5 helped, but on a 486 class machine, you REALLY want the normal Windows 95 shell and nothing later than IE 3.

PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    That is a very common problem with Windows 95. Sometimes updating drivers, and applying networking updates (DUN1.4) might make it go away.

Can you use "exit to dos" rather than shut down?

You might try disabling power management in the BIOS, in case it is getting confused trying to automatically power down the system.

95C? You didn't happen to let it install IE 4 and the overactive desktop did you? There was a documented problem shutting down on some machines when the IE desktop was installed. I can't remember if installing IE 5.5 helped, but on a 486 class machine, you REALLY want the normal Windows 95 shell and nothing later than IE 3.
    Sometimes I can boot into DOS but not always (let's say seldom...). The BIOS power management is disabled. I have to check Windows power management (good idea)!
    I have base IE 4 and the active desktop is disabled (too heavy). I have also disabled the Explorer (not Internet Explorer) HTML viewing.
    I would avoid to upgrade IE since I am afraid it could become too heavy...
    Now I cannot remember if the problem arose before or after I installed DirectX 6.1: it did not upgrade my Video Card driver (Mystique 8 Mb) since it told me this esplicitally... and I told it not to upgrade the sound card driver... does the DirectX have drivers for net cards (I suppose know but with MS it's always possible to have suprises...)?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I have partially read the two pages and I am surprised on how many possible problem Windows had... and the funny thing is that I had NEVER this issue in past times... perhaps I was only lucky...
    I will try the proposed solution one by one starting from the quickest (startup and ending sounds removal)... I keep you info as a curiosity...

Quote Originally Posted by flaviosr View Post
    I have base IE 4 and the active desktop is disabled (too heavy). I have also disabled the Explorer (not Internet Explorer) HTML viewing.
    I would avoid to upgrade IE since I am afraid it could become too heavy...
    So they are both installed then. Personally, I would recommend just reformatting and starting over from scratch. When you copy the 95C cab files to the hard drive just delete the IE installer before running Windows setup and it will just skip that (or burn a 95C CD with the IE installer deleted).

Then at each step adding software or making changes, verify shutting down works (test multiple times to make sure any hang is not just a random hang).

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    So they are both installed then. Personally, I would recommend just reformatting and starting over from scratch. When you copy the 95C cab files to the hard drive just delete the IE installer before running Windows setup and it will just skip that (or burn a 95C CD with the IE installer deleted).

Then at each step adding software or making changes, verify shutting down works (test multiple times to make sure any hang is not just a random hang).
    I tried some tricks without success so I decided to reinstall. I noticed that the driver of my 3com net card installs its own NetBIOS and so on protocols... so all of them are doubled. I kept only the MS ones and everything is ok...

I think everyone is missing the forest for the trees.

If this is a 486 system, it's a fair bet to say it uses an AT style power supply, with a mains AC switch to turn it on and off. It is not possible for ACPI to turn a configuration like this off because AT style power supplies do not support soft power switching. This is why Windows 95 prompts you that it is safe to turn your machine off, because under no circumstance can it do that task for you.

Windows 95 can only soft power off machines with ATX power supplies that have ACPI support built into the BIOS.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    I think everyone is missing the forest for the trees.
    I think you missed the tree. See OP's post #1: I do not get the screen "you can turn off the computer"!

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkpot View Post
    I think you missed the tree. See OP's post #1: I do not get the screen "you can turn off the computer"!
    Some of the proposed debugging steps are for ACPI soft shutdown.

Quite literally anything can stop Windows 9x from showing the "you may now shut off your computer", including the graphic that displays the message being corrupt.

In most cases, by the time it hangs on a black screen, most everything important has already been killed. I've had this issue on many machines over a vast number of different configurations, and in most cases if the graphic is never shown, its fine to just power the machine off.