Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show us your vintage test equipment and tools! :D

Default Show us your vintage test equipment and tools! :D

Few things in life are more satisfying than troubleshooting vintage computers using vintage test equipment.

Show us what you've got!

------

This is my B&K Precision 1540, circa late 70s or early 80s I think.. I bought it at a hamfest in 1997 for $35, and it was my only scope for years. Not a storage scope, but it does have a trigger circuit built in, which is good enough for me! Really needs a rebuild and is way out of calibration, but it's good enough to see logic transitions! Lol.

And this is a late 50s era Eico 460 that I just recently acquired. All tube, so that is cool. It needs a rebuild too, although it's actually in better condition than my 1540, heh. I want to make a new cover for it from plexiglass, so the tube glow can come out. <3 I plan to mostly use this one in XY mode, drawing vector graphics on it with a sound card.

And that's my great grandpa's persuasion tool on the right there, too. :3
    Last edited by bladamson; April 3rd, 2020 at 06:32 PM.
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

Does anyone have HP 64000 ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_64000

I think I saw one of those on Ebay years ago, but I didn't know what it was or I'd have bought it, heh.

----

But cmon guys. I know *someone* has some sweet vintage test equipment out there to post pictures of. I mean, after all, you're not really troubleshooting unless you have to troubleshoot your troubleshooting equipment before you can really start troubleshooting. Am I right? :3
    -- Lee
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

I always liked the test equipment I used in Aerospace in the early 1980s, and when I retired I hunted for some of them on ebay, etc where they could be had for a song.

Here is my Tektronix 453 scope, HP1630G Logic Analyzer, and a Interface Technology RS-660 Word Generator. I really wanted the Tektronix 454 or 465B scope, but they were still priced a bit high at the time.

The thing with a logic analyzers are that you must get a good set of pods and flying lead sets with them or they are fairly useless.

This era gear is perfect for troubling-shooting early generation IBM PCs, Commodore PETs, Apple II, etc.

Logic analyzer & Timing Generator1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bladamson View Post
    I plan to mostly use this one in XY mode, drawing vector graphics on it with a sound card.
    I wanna know more about this...

Quote Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
    I wanna know more about this...
    Not mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UioR-oXVIp0
    Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7J-WrS9ou0
    -- Lee

Quote Originally Posted by alecv View Post
    yes, and a 64120, which is even rarer
    http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/hp/6412.../64120A_01.JPG

Blog Entries

Quick View from 3 years ago of some (about 30%) of my Vintage Test gear most is Tektronix.

Better view after I had done some cleaning up

Last edited by inotarobot; April 12th, 2020 at 09:12 PM.

I can only dream of having a room like that.
    -- Lee

Quote Originally Posted by alecv View Post
    I had a complete soup-to-nuts 64000, complete with apartment-fridge sized 10MB disk drive, 8 linear feet of manuals and software and several ICE pods. Took up way too much space and gave the whole collection away about ten years ago. It was a real tank, as you'd expect from HP.