Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TRS-80 drive realignment experience

on loctite... be sure to use the non-permanent kind.

substitute alignment disks could probably be made by writing a pattern on the “alignment” track and different patterns on adjacent ones. should see the difference with a scope easily. who has a drive in perfect alignment? that’s just head radial, there’s still track zero and index sector timing.

the head pad pressure “buttons” were a common replacement item. perhaps someone with 3d printer skills could help with replacements. i think a soft, durable fabric could work—maybe like corduroy, for the part that contacts the disk.

Quote Originally Posted by shank View Post
    the head pad pressure “buttons” were a common replacement item. perhaps someone with 3d printer skills could help with replacements. i think a soft, durable fabric could work—maybe like corduroy, for the part that contacts the disk.
    I do have a 3d printer but haven't had to repair these parts yet. I'll be honest though, I'll try to keep the drives working as long as I can, but I'm not going to put much effort into it. Unless someone does a kickstarter or something for new floppy disks (unlikely as the equipment and supplies to make them no longer exist), our efforts are much better spent in implementing non physical media solutions.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA