Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a warning on CRT storage, folks...

Default Just a warning on CRT storage, folks...

Don't store your CRT displays long term in your basement against an earthen wall.

The earth is a magnet... Every one of my displays is now pulled crooked in the corners depending on how they were sitting.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

The shadow mask's have been deformed? Seems unlikely. But turn them around and leave for as long and they should be fine

Blog Entries

Reminds of the trick with a compass and a room full of metal office furniture. Have someone move one of the pieces and it's possible to tell which one.

In your case, a degaussing coil should make a difference. Most color CRTs have a degaussing coil that comes on briefly on powerup, but it's not strong enough to remove stubborn magnetization.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Reminds of the trick with a compass and a room full of metal office furniture. Have someone move one of the pieces and it's possible to tell which one.

In your case, a degaussing coil should make a difference. Most color CRTs have a degaussing coil that comes on briefly on powerup, but it's not strong enough to remove stubborn magnetization.
    This problem should be easily remedied with a degausing wand though right? I dont own one but used them in the 90s. Actually i was able to degause a couple monitors woth some magnets successfuly but i woildnt re ommend that.

I typically use a tape bulk eraser to degauss CRTs, especially after a close lightning strike, which will rainbow every color CRT in the EMP near field.
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

Blog Entries

What the traditional tool used is a degaussing coil:

Those can be had cheaply made of solid ebay chinesium. Of course good luck getting one shipped in anytime soon. Invaluable resource for working on arcade cabinets, most of which do not have built in degaussing coils.

I have a good coil, I'll try it to see if it helps the convergence. I've never heard of this causing rotation... that part is really odd.

Quote Originally Posted by rittwage View Post
    I have a good coil, I'll try it to see if it helps the convergence. I've never heard of this causing rotation... that part is really odd.
    Rotation huh? Wouldnt the more likely reason be the adhesive or screwlock holding the yolk on got loose over time somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Rotation huh? Wouldnt the more likely reason be the adhesive or screwlock holding the yolk on got loose over time somehow?
    Yes, the really odd thing is that they all had almost exact same issue (Model 3, 4, and a 4P) and they were still tight on the necks. I loosened them and fixed them, but I have no explanation unless somehow the coils themselves are having the magnetism altered. Fortunately, there was no image distortion other than rotation.