Image Map Image Map

Thread: minimum memory amount for 8 core xeon board

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Default minimum memory amount for 8 core xeon board

Supermicro x11srm-f & xeon w-2140b (yes it is an Apple oem chip late 2017 imac pro 3.2). The imac used 2666mhz memory. Wanted feedback on what a typical workstation configuration would carry. I believe with lrdimms I can go to 512gb - ok not going anywhere near that high. I'm just such an insufferable tight wad lately. I would imagine a bare respectable minimum would be 16gb. I'd like to only spring for 8gb.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Supermicro x11srm-f & xeon w-2140b (yes it is an Apple oem chip late 2017 imac pro 3.2). The imac used 2666mhz memory. Wanted feedback on what a typical workstation configuration would carry. I believe with lrdimms I can go to 512gb - ok not going anywhere near that high. I'm just such an insufferable tight wad lately. I would imagine a bare respectable minimum would be 16gb. I'd like to only spring for 8gb.
    Depends on what you're doing with it.
    We used similar Supermicro's as Xen based virtual machine hosts, and 32GB-48GB wasn't uncommon. Each virtual machine inside having between 2-8GB alloated. But if it's just being used as a single machine for a single purpose, then even 8 would be plenty unless you had a particular program in mind that needed more.

Are these SM boards very picky about memory?

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Are these SM boards very picky about memory?
    Depends on the chipset. Some older Supermicro boards that utilized 3rd party chipsets like VIA didn't really care about memory type as long as it was memory. Boards with Intel chipsets are generally the most picky about RAM.

https://www.supermicro.com/en/produc...board/X11SRM-F

It specifies 2133-2933 MHz ECC Registered DDR4, or low power ECC Registered LPDDR4 if you want to have more than 256 GB of RAM installed. I would just get the RAM the Supermicro specs to avoid problems.

I just ordered a 16gb Samsung rdimm. Iirc all SM recommended was Hynix. We'll see if this works. Price was real good though.

That old dual lga771 Intel board didn't seem picky. I found a 16gb kit locally and it worked just fine. With Windows 2000 AS anyway. When I tried to install W7 or WS8, it balked. But I'm thinking that wasn't memory related. But who knows.