Image Map Image Map

Thread: Ebay: Cheap VGA2USB adapters

Blog Entries

Default Ebay: Cheap VGA2USB adapters

(not affiliated with the listing, FYI)

There's a few USB capture pods out there that do a decent job but they're all really expensive. By chance right now out of Israeli surplus there's a thing branded as an Optibase FlashStreamer and they are $35USD each and shipping's really good too.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Optibase-Vid...e/263820956264

In reality these are repackaged Epiphan VGA2USB capture pods. If you can stand the low framerates at the high resolutions (upper limit is 1900x1200 but like, 2FPS) These are really nice units that work on older operating systems and USB 2.0.
    Last edited by NeXT; March 22nd, 2020 at 01:57 PM.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Can't find much info about these MGW FlashStreamer Capture Modules online. I did find this short teardown video where he opens it up and confirms that it does have an Epiphan PCB inside:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7a-sWvGshk

As you said it probably is the original Epiphan VGA2USB model:

www.epiphan.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/epiphan-vga2usb-brochure.pdf

www.epiphan.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Videograbbers-EOL-Transition.pdf

I have one of the slightly newer and more capable (but also discontinued) VGA2USB LR models. Sometimes you can find those cheap. This one sold for around $20 last week:

www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphan-VGA2USB-VGA-Video-Frame-Grabber-VGA-to-USB-Converter/264659665783

There are also some of these Epiphan VGADVI Broadcaster models currently available for around $50 with shipping. (B&H has those listed for $1600 new!):

www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphan-VGADVI-Broadcaster-Model-DVI-BRIDGE-With-power-supply-DVI/164082353531

www.epiphan.com/products/vgadvi-broadcaster/

I also have one of those. They do both DVI and analog VGA capture. They can record in H.264 format to an internal USB flash drive, although as far as I can tell the internal recording might not work with custom VGA video modes, and that might be a major restriction. The web interface doesn't let you specify custom VGA video modes (it can be used to download different DVI EDID configurations). The PC app does let you specify custom VGA modes, but if you do that internal recording seems to get disabled in the web interface. You can still use the PC app to record video over the net, but the frame rate is low. If you just need still frame captures it might be a good option for $50 shipped.

Blog Entries

I bought one myself to be the capture side of an Extron VSC900. Lets me take most video formats and reform them into a regular VGA signal which the box can accept.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    I bought one myself to be the capture side of an Extron VSC900. Lets me take most video formats and reform them into a regular VGA signal which the box can accept.
    Which model is the one you bought and use?

I also just bought one of their current top end models, a DVI2USB 3.0, for $100, which seemed like a reasonable price for what they typically seem to go for currently. I received that one a couple of days ago and haven't gotten around to trying it out yet. I suppose I should to make sure it actually works.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    Which model is the one you bought and use?

See the ebay link in the OP. :P

= Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

I'm not exactly jumping for joy over the 28fps maximum framerate. My Epiphan capture card is set to 768x240 for capturing CGA including overscan (after conversion by a gglabs unit) and some simple math shows these units could capture it at about 46 fps.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Yeah I'm not really sure what's with the weird ceiling on framerate other than inefficient use of the USB path. We all know that most USB capture pods could do 30 on USB 2.0 :/

= Excellent space heater

I picked up an Inogeni VGA2USB3. Not cheap, requires USB 3.0, but works fine with my Raptor Talos II and provides decent framerates even at high resolution.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Various projects and oddities: http://oldvcr.blogspot.com/
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html