Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C compilers - were there any between the first one (Unix) and the CP/M ones?

Default C compilers - were there any between the first one (Unix) and the CP/M ones?

I wonder about this zone of history, was there C compilers between the first one on Unix and the many that I've seen for CP/M?

Whitesmiths

Blog Entries

There was/is(?) a C for the Burroughs systems running under MCP, so not Unix.

But most mainframe/mini Cs were the result of needing to host Unix. That is, the language was not selected on its own merits. One might as well talk about FORTH for the Cray X-MP.

Compared to most mainframe HLLs of the time, C was pretty anemic. I admit that I wasn't taken with K&R C all that much. It wasn't until much later that C standardized on some important features.

There was DECUS C back in the late '70s for DEC minis. I think I read that it was first released in 1978. Hmmm.... https://manualzz.com/doc/19806580/th...se--second-...
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

Blog Entries

Document says 1983, so after CP/M's heyday, no?

Blog Entries

The version of DECUS C I looked at has a CC.DOC from 15-OCT-81 which has an appendix A that lists CBUGS.DOC of 17-SEP-80. Presumably to have a buglist, there would have had to be earlier versions.

In the document at the link I posted, see page 8, section 10.0: "Decus C was first distributed to the "wider world" on an RSX-11MSIG tape in 1978. It was first distributed to Decus --as11-SP-18 --in November 1980."
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

Blog Entries

Given that CP/M was 1974, I wonder if the cited on qualifies as "between Unix and CP/M"...

Blog Entries

Given the query involved C compilers, that should give a range between 1973 when C on Unix appeared in public and 1979 when BDS C for CP/M appeared or perhaps a few years later when C compilers for CP/M implemented a larger portion of C.

Blog Entries

I suspect that BDS C wasn't the first C for CP/M.