Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In circuit flashing of an SST25VF032B

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    .. Adding a socket is not a bad idea, didn't think they made surface mount sockets.
    Sorry, I didn't realize that it was SOIC. I hadn't read the DATA Sheet you referenced. There are "Test Sockets" and adapters for programmers but I don't know how those would fit on your board. The good thing is that with only 8 pins, the soldering/de-soldering shouldn't be that tough with a fine or chisel tip iron and good light and magnification,

Blog Entries

Here is an update to this in case anyone is interested.

I finally decided I had the time and nothing else to loose, so I unsoldered the chip, shoved it in my flasher and flashed the 6.01 BIOS image onto it. Then I re-soldered it back onto the board. It definitely was not the best solder job, the chip is sitting funny and I can't get it to line up right, but all the legs are firmly attached.

Fired up the server and it posted! So victory to me. The server is 100% functional again, running the 6.01 BIOS on it, and I do not plan to change that. So yeah, chalk one up for the good guys!

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Nice. Well done and congratz!
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Kudos to you. My efforts with a similar issue did not have such a happy ending!
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Fyi, on some older intel desktop boards, I've had luck powering on the board with the cpu removed to program the chip.

My method is, pull the cpu/fan, and then force power on the system using a jumper on the psu power on pin. then program.

I've recovered a lot of dh61 series like this.