Image Map Image Map

Thread: Apple LC475 Mitsubishi MF355F drive eject problem

Blog Entries

Default Apple LC475 Mitsubishi MF355F drive eject problem

Folks,

So I now have an LC475 that all seems to work - apart from the floppy drive eject mechanism. The drive reads and writes well and of course I can use a paperclip to eject the floppy - so for the most part mechanically and electrically its fine.

Does anyone know what the common failure modes of these eject mechanisms are ?
    I can hear the eject motor trying to do something but seemingly noting is turning so I'm suspecting the Omron eject motor/gear mechanism

I have previously replaced the broken gear in an 800K Macintosh Plus machines but those Sony drives were far simpler to dismantle than this mitsubishi.

A teardown and repair guide for the mitsubishi would be useful - thanks.

regards

If you can hear the motor spinning freely, then there's going to be a broken gear in the eject mechanism gearbox.

The failure mode is the same on all old Mac floppy drives with auto eject, the grease dries up or the gears get brittle and snap.

If my memory is correct, the LC475 uses the manual inject drive. I don't recall the manual inject drives having the same gear ejection problem as the earlier Sony auto-eject models. In case it is indeed a gear issue, these drives are cheap enough to basically buy one off eBay and use it for parts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by groink View Post
    If my memory is correct, the LC475 uses the manual inject drive. I don't recall the manual inject drives having the same gear ejection problem as the earlier Sony auto-eject models. In case it is indeed a gear issue, these drives are cheap enough to basically buy one off eBay and use it for parts.
    Thanks for the replies.

Problem is that I'm not actually sure what parts I need. Disassembly of this drive seems far from straightforward compared to the the Sony dives I have repaired in (for example a Mac Plus.). The drives are not that common and given that I only paid 50 for the entire LC475, Monitor, Laserwriter printer and Syquest 88MB cartridge drive - I'm reluctant to pay another 50 just for a donor drive until I can work out whats wrong.

I don't see folks selling aftermarket gears for this drive so you might be right - it may not be the eject gear itself. I'll need to probe deeper.

Blog Entries

Turns out that a full strip down, clean and lube were all that was needed. The drive now ejects properly.