Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Atari 2600 Games?

Default Favorite Atari 2600 Games?

What are some of your favorite Atari 2600 games? Some of mine are: Wizard of Wor, Dragonfire, Burgertime, Super Breakout...oh, and both of the Pitfall games. I'm sure I'm forgetting about some.

Pitfall!, Adventure, Moon Patrol, and Battlezone all rank pretty high on the "I can't believe they pulled that off in 4KB/on that hardware!" list. The Galaxian port is also pretty good.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

I've always loved the classics, but perhaps they are what I played the most. Combat, Asteroids, Breakout, Missile Command, and my favorite of all Space Invaders. Mountain King was pretty cool too. I was always disappointed in Pac-Man for the 2600.

Jungle hunt was my favorite. Then mario bros. Pole position and pitfall. Didnt have access to too many games. Only the ones my neighbor had.

Some of my favorites (in no particular order):
    In terms of graphics, definitely Fatal Run. Makes sense considering the game uses bank-switching to get 32K of ROM, and IIRC is the only 2600 game to do so. It's also a pretty fun game too!
    Some of my other favorites include RealSports Volleyball, International Soccer, Frogs and Flies, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and of course the obvious classics like both Pitfall games, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, etc...
    One final mention, Miniature Golf (there goes all of my credibility...) Graphically it's obviously not that great, but there's something I find oddly charming about its gameplay.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
    I was always disappointed in Pac-Man for the 2600.
    Try this homebrew:
    https://atariage.com/forums/topic/22...or-atari-2600/

Quote Originally Posted by ClausB View Post
    Ah, yes and the 8K version is something to behold. Do you know how many more 2600s would have sold if this version had come out back in those days?

Bit of an obvious choice, but Pitfall 2 has some surprisingly complex map design and a fully functional dynamic music system! In addition, Vanguard is a solid port of SNK's arcade game and Fatal Run's a fairly competent Chase HQ-like released incredibly late in the console's lifespan with a large ROM size..
    General Failure Reading Drive C -
    Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Yar's Revenge!!
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Gyruss, Pitfall 2, Battlezone, and Frogs and Flies