Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disk on Module Help

Quote Originally Posted by tblake05 View Post
    Doubt it will work as the system hangs every time a boot floppy begins to load. The message "starting ms dos" will appear and the system hangs. Anything off a cd rom will do the same.

If I remove the sd to ide adapter, it will boot off a floppy normally just no drive to install to. I even tried putting the original hard drive back in and it doesn't recognize it anymore. Ugh. Bet I ruined the ide controller some how.
    Can you put the SD card in a USB adapter and use another PC to wipe it, Zero out the SD card and put it back in the laptop and try Win 98 again.

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    Can you put the SD card in a USB adapter and use another PC to wipe it, Zero out the SD card and put it back in the laptop and try Win 98 again.
    I'll give it a shot. Its more difficult to get at the hard drive on the 380 series computers than most.

It was an unformatted memory card initially when I first tried it. (when it fully booted into dos setup but errored out). After that I got this issue. Which is why I took it out and partitioned it to 4g and formatted to fat16.

Me again, Slow going on this project....

Ran DBAN bootable floppy in the 380ED, and zero filled the "drive".
    After I was able to boot again from floppy....

Fdisk "worked", but asked me to restart so I did. Once I did, the machine would no longer boot again and just hung at "starting MS dos" just like before.

DBAN again and it booted again. Tried just going for broke and installing dos 6.22. The setup asked me to reboot the machine and of couse, after that, it would just hang again.

So i'm in a vicious cycle. Every step I move forward, I have to reboot and then it hangs. Then I have to DBAN again.

Side note, it seems to not retain my FDISK settings when I set a partition active. I can exit, then immediatly go back in and it shows no active partition.

What do you guys think is going on? There must be an incompatibility somewhere....

Recap:

I have this installed

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SD-SDHC-SDX...72.m2749.l2649

With this 8GB Micro SD card adapted to a standard SD card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-Mic...72.m2749.l2649

Maybe time to try something else. Got a working small size HHD that you can try? Or maybe a IDE/CF adapter? If one or both work then you know the problem is with the SD adapter or SD card. At least you know if the IBM controller is working and concentrate on why the SD solution is FUBAR.
    Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

Do you have any other IDE machines around you can try the SD adapter in just to make sure you didn't get a bum one? Even plugging it into one of those external PATA->USB adapters they sell for imaging hard drives should be good enough to verify if it's working or not. (I've also used those to test IDE-CF adapters.) I'm still worried the laptop is the rank one here, but it would be really useful to start with a confirmed-working-in-something-else drive device.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Have you tried using a smaller SD card say 2Gb or less ??

Good suggestions here guys.

The laptop booted to windows 98 every time with the original 4GB IDE hard drive, though it was not happy. Making all sorts of bad sounds and clicks. So If the laptop's IDE controller itself is the issue, I caused its demise. Ugh.

I don't have any CF option-though I was thinking about buying one if everything else fails.

I also have not tried a smaller SD card, though I did FDISK it to 2gb, and it still had the same issue.

I have a reliable compaq XP machine and a 40 to 44 pin IDE adapter... I'll try it in that machine. Its just sort of a bummer to keep disassembling the laptop to access the hard drive to end up back where I started. I'm afraid I'm going to break a connector or plastic somewhere if I do it too many more times.

PS I still have a 44 pin DOM that didn't work either due to being the incorrect gender. As due to my oversight, they were made to plug directly to a motherboard. Is there an IDE cable I can buy to plug these in with the correct orientation? The male to male gender changer I bought doesn't work... At all.

PS I still have a 44 pin DOM that didn't work either due to being the incorrect gender. As due to my oversight, they were made to plug directly to a motherboard. Is there an IDE cable I can buy to plug these in with the correct orientation? The male to male gender changer I bought doesn't work... At all.
    If you tried plugging it in with a male-to-male "gender changer" that was just a straight-through header I'd kind of be worried that that's the point where you smoked the IDE controller. That's going to wholesale tie a bunch of lines together in a bad way.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    If you tried plugging it in with a male-to-male "gender changer" that was just a straight-through header I'd kind of be worried that that's the point where you smoked the IDE controller. That's going to wholesale tie a bunch of lines together in a bad way.
    The machine booted fine from the original hard drive after I tried the DOM in there.

I suppose I could put it back in there just to make sure it will still run now.

PS, I also tried the latest firmware update that I could find for download which my laptop already had. There was also a bootable update to enable large disk support. You download the first image and it checks your machine and instructs you which floppy image to boot from next in order to do the update. However, since I'm sure it has no parameters for the SDtoIDE, that it just returned back that no updates were available.

The machine booted fine from the original hard drive after I tried the DOM in there.

I suppose I could put it back in there just to make sure it will still run now.
    Going back over the thread, ugh, so the original drive no longer worked after you tried the SD adapter? Ugh. I've had really good luck with those SD card adapters myself, but as they always used to say in the fine print, "your mileage may vary"?

If you want to test these PATA devices without risking another vintage computer dinguses like this are *really* useful to have around:

https://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-Drive-.../dp/B00BIE996S

I've used mine to test CF cards and other oddball devices via their various PATA adapters.