Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disk on Module Help

Default Disk on Module Help

Hello, me again. I've had good luck with DOM's in the past. Latest project is this IBM thinkpad 380ed. Trying to replace a failed 4Gb travelstar IDE drive with a 16Gb DOM. However due to an oversight on my part, the DOM won't work for obvious reasons. Ugh. Are there any adapters or cables I can buy to make it work? Thanks!

IMG_4656.JPG

Can something like this do it? Or are the formats un-compatible?

http://www.cablesonline.com/44pinbomatom.html

You need to get a 44 pin DOM.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    You need to get a 44 pin DOM.
    This is a 44-pin DOM, just of the wrong gender

I've used one of those gender changer in the past, for the exact same reason/mistake
    61lOl-xciCL._SX466_.jpg

So it is...

But it's not the wrong gender -- they're all female.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Sounds good, thanks guys. yes rookie mistake.

Question though, if I get a gender changer, the DOM can be plugged in either way around. How do I not smoke it?... or worse the motherboard. I see there is a key in its casing of the DOM, however if I get the adapter I linked to above, it can still connect to the motherboard either way around.

Changing the gender is not enough. The DOM is a different pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by tblake05 View Post
    Question though, if I get a gender changer, the DOM can be plugged in either way around. How do I not smoke it?... or worse the motherboard. I see there is a key in its casing of the DOM, however if I get the adapter I linked to above, it can still connect to the motherboard either way around.
    I'm willing to bet at least a nickel that trying to use that bare double-ended header won't do what you want want. If the DOM in question is supposed to plug into the empty socket where a cable would go (a situation that mostly exists in the obscure embedded applications 44 pin DOMs are targeted at) then using a bare header will flip the two pin rows compared to what they should be. (It might be kind of hard to explain without a picture, I guess, although since you've mentioned the key would be flipped I think you get it.)

44 pin DOMs are weird and generally aren't really meant for laptops. For instance, I have in my possession an industrial 44 pin DOM of the horizontal type that has male pins instead of female but included a male-male gender changer to allow it to be plugged into the male motherboard plug *and* the DOM itself has a passthrough header so a cable can be connected to it and/or another DOM stacked on top. (IE, the DOM has male pins on both sides of the PCB.)
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    I'm willing to bet at least a nickel that trying to use that bare double-ended header won't do what you want want. If the DOM in question is supposed to plug into the empty socket where a cable would go (a situation that mostly exists in the obscure embedded applications 44 pin DOMs are targeted at) then using a bare header will flip the two pin rows compared to what they should be. (It might be kind of hard to explain without a picture, I guess, although since you've mentioned the key would be flipped I think you get it.)
    You are correct. I've done it with a 40 pin DOM.

You need two of those double-ended headers with a short ribbon cable between them to do a second 'flip' to get the orientation right.

Honestly for a laptop I'd suggest trying either a direct-plug CF or SD adapter. (I'm very fond of the latter myself.) They have the right connector orientation/gender for laptop disk replacement and, again, 44 pin DOMs are just weird compared to desktop ones. There are also laptop PATA->M2/MSATA adapters, but I hear tell they're not particularly reliable with older (pre-UDMA) IDE hosts. I have a couple of those in G4 Powerbooks and they work great, but they're running at UDMA/66 or faster.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs