Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Disk on Module Help

So I tried a generic 4Gig SD card I had laying around and it worked!

Fdisked, Formatted, and installed Dos 6.22 just fine!

So then I loaded a cd rom driver and went to install Win95, and it seems either the driver is incompatible with my laptop, or the drive itself is shot. Can hear it spin the disk up, sounds fine, but then spins down. Activity light goes on when it spins up and off when it spins down. It will do this over and over and hang.

Just love when projects just keep snowballing.

Quote Originally Posted by tblake05 View Post
    So I tried a generic 4Gig SD card I had laying around and it worked!

Fdisked, Formatted, and installed Dos 6.22 just fine!
    Hah! I guess it must be a BIOS thing that's making the laptop pee its pants when you have a bigger card in there, or, probably less likely but impossible to rule out without trying the adapter in another machine, an incompatibility between the adapter and the other card you tried.

I've had no problem with these adapters with every card I've tried between 2GB and 64GB, but I've only used them with either the XTIDE BIOS in XTs or machines new enough to grok the whole disk capacity. My past experience, though, leads me to believe that these mid-90's machines with early attempts at large disk support and autodetect are probably the most likely to get angry and confused at IDE devices they don't understand.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Yeah, who knows! I do like these little adapters, I think I am going to buy one for my wifes old laptop she refuses to give up. Its an old dell with xp. Its old IDE is sure clanking around in there, I'm sure on it's last breath.

PS, anyone know if I can make dos 6.22 recognize the entire 4gb? Or am I stuck at 2gb?

Quote Originally Posted by tblake05 View Post
    PS, anyone know if I can make dos 6.22 recognize the entire 4gb? Or am I stuck at 2gb?
    You can partition it into C: and D: drives, but 2GB per partition is a pretty hard limit for regular DOS. (Unless you switch to FreeDOS, or the "DOS" that came with Windows 95/98 to get FAT32 support.)
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs