Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disk on Module Help

CF flash option was my first option till I found this DOM on eBay from china for about 15.00. However I may end up cutting my losses and doing CF anyway. My hesitance with that is some of the larger CF cards (4gb and up) are sort of expensive, plus not all CF cards are created equal. Some work, some don't.

Like a predictably broken record I will repeat my recommendation of this PATA to SD converter that I've had nothing but good luck with so far. SD cards are dirt cheap compared to CF and this adapter has worked with both some relatively ancient generic (Microcenter branded) 2GB cards I had lying around and some brand new Sandisk and Samsung ones.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Although sold out at the link, I have the SD converter on order from ebay. Thanks for the heads up!

Anyone have a use for the female 44 pin IDE DOM's? Not sure what I can use them for unless I can find the right cable to flip them.

Can anyone tell me the largest HD a thinkpad 380ed can support? 8GB?

Quote Originally Posted by tblake05 View Post
    Can anyone tell me the largest HD a thinkpad 380ed can support? 8GB?
    99% you are correct, that should be the bios limit. It was officially sold with up to 5.1GB HDD. There's always the disk overlay solution of course, if you want to take that route

Quote Originally Posted by konc View Post
    99% you are correct, that should be the bios limit. It was officially sold with up to 5.1GB HDD. There's always the disk overlay solution of course, if you want to take that route
    I don't think a DDO will help here for anything over 8GB since that requires more than the standard Int13h interface, i.e., enhanced interrupt 13h extensions. Enhanced Int13h extensions require full support from both the BIOS and the operating system. Most older operating systems do not support Int13h extensions. All versions of non-Windows DOS, such as 6.22 and earlier, as well as Windows NT version 3.5 do not support Int13h extensions and cannot use hard disks over 8.4 GB in size.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

So new problem. Installed 8gb sd card on the ide interface card. Laptop recognizes it and it passes the bios test as ok.

Now Every disk I put it, it will seek, start to load and I get the "starting whatever" and all activity stops. Will not go further.

I got past it once. My first attempt after the ide to sd adapter was installed. Then it errored out and so I rebooted. Now this.

I've tried formatting the sd card in my other laptop as fat16, and partitioning it to only 4gb. No luck.

There isn't a single boot disk I have downloaded that will allow me to continue past this point. They al start and hang.

Funny though if I remove the ide to sd adapter, it will boot fine only it will say dos cannot install cause of no hard drive.

Did I mess up my motherboard/disc controller?

What am I missing?

Booting from cd rom does the same. If I put windows 98 disk in, it will boot then give me the option to boot from cd or hard drive, cd it runs for a moment and stalls. Hard drive obviously won't boot due to being formatted.

Partitioning / Formatting a card on a different computer other than the one you intend to use the card in don't always work, I'd start again with a wiped clean card. Try WipeDisk, Put it on a DOS bootable floppy and boot the laptop , Run WipeDisk / Re-boot and try installing DOS again. Are you sure an 8Gb drive is suitable for that laptop, Not too big ?.

Doubt it will work as the system hangs every time a boot floppy begins to load. The message "starting ms dos" will appear and the system hangs. Anything off a cd rom will do the same.

If I remove the sd to ide adapter, it will boot off a floppy normally just no drive to install to. I even tried putting the original hard drive back in and it doesn't recognize it anymore. Ugh. Bet I ruined the ide controller some how.