Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pretty obsure C64 item garned more attention that I had hoped..

Default Pretty obsure C64 item garned more attention that I had hoped..

Stumbled across this the other day with high hopes until it crossed the $200.00 mark. It went up another $100.00 today alone!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Spartan...59.m1431.l2649

Shame, I really want one.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Stumbled across this the other day with high hopes until it crossed the $200.00 mark. It went up another $100.00 today alone!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Spartan...59.m1431.l2649

Shame, I really want one.
    Interesting.. Rumored to exist but I never have seen one before. I also heard there was a c64 board for the Apple II as well.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    I also heard there was a c64 board for the Apple II as well.
    First I have heard of it, but sure why not. It was a time when anything was possible. I love the 80's. Where are my roller skates?!

I also heard there was a c64 board for the Apple II as well.
    I have to lump that into the "pics or it didn't happen" category.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    I have to lump that into the "pics or it didn't happen" category.
    I have no idea, I know carrington vanston has mentioned it on the RCR podcast a few times, but agreed, i've never seen it. But then, until now, i'd never seen this Spartan thing either.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Ah, the Spartan ... I first heard of the Spartan a few months ago. The Mechanical Engineering dept. at the university where I work was cleaning out a storage closet and came across a couple of boxes of what they thought were "Apple II cards". And they were right, kind of. After a bit of research I figured out they were CPU cards for the Mimic Spartan. Not quite sure how they wound up there, but as Mimic Systems was based in our fair city (Victoria, BC) one can see how some of their bits & pieces might have come our way. I don't think the cards are good for much as most are in rough shape, but I'm holding onto them anyway as relics of our local computing history.

spartan.jpg

Very nice. At long last I found a Mimic Spartan that interestingly enough was supposed to arrive yesterday but it didn't Should be here Monday. I have no idea what's inside as I only seen the box and the actual unit. I've been looking for one for a while for my Canadian vintage computing website as Mimic Systems does have an interesting history.

Glad you are hanging onto them Worblehat. Hopefully I will have the CPU card and the other accessories that came with it. You should also check if you have the DOS card that was supposed to go into the 1541 disk drive. I think it may have been optional for some of the Mimic Spartans.

I have no idea, I know carrington vanston has mentioned it on the RCR podcast a few times, but agreed, i've never seen it. But then, until now, i'd never seen this Spartan thing either.
    The C64 is nothing without its Commodore-specific proprietary ASICS (literally, outside of the memory chips that’s the entire machine) and I have never heard of anyone making a hardware compatible clone of it before the C64-in-a-joystick era. If someone made a C64 compatibility add-on for the Apple II they would have probably spent more buying the parts from Commodore than they were selling the whole machine for.

A PET compatibility kludge I *might* buy as existing, maybe.

Does anyone know if a DOS/8088 system was ever made for the C64? I have been looking for a DOS 8088 assembly for my kaypro for years, but since its a two board system you only ever find one or the other and I am not risking high prices on incomplete parts.

There were 8088 expansion options for the CBM-II Commodore 8-bits but I don't remember ever hearing of one for the C64. It seems like it would be a hard sell, frankly; you can *kind* of see where there'd be a market for an 8088 expansion board for a "Business Machine"-priced 8-bit (there were several for the Apple II, for instance) but the C64 would realistically be cheaper than any 8088 board that could be even remotely PC compatible.

Of course, an idea being silly was no barrier to some people. I imagine it'd be pretty trivial to make the equivalent of this for the C64.