Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disks

Post Disks

I am looking for disks, preferably 20 of each type. 5 1/4" 360K, 5 1/4" 1.2M, 3 1/2" 720K, 3 1/2" 1.44M. Preferably clean and free of bad sectors.
    • Computers I'm looking for: Olivetti M380-40 • Olivetti M486 • Olivetti M6 620 suprema • HP Vectra VL 6/400

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 6885P5H View Post
    I am looking for disks, preferably 20 of each type. 5 1/4" 360K, 5 1/4" 1.2M, 3 1/2" 720K, 3 1/2" 1.44M. Preferably clean and free of bad sectors.
    I've got all the mentioned disks. If you want to PM me we can discuss the pricing.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

Sorry Stone, that's too expensive because of shipping and the exchange rate.

I heard that they stopped making disks sometime in the 2010's. That is so stupid. Believe it or not last time I checked they still manufactured magnetic tape for use with those old tape recorders, the ones where you have to thread the tape manually. There can't be much money to be made in that market, but they still do it. How hard can it be to make a disc, instead of a long strip of plastic?
    • Computers I'm looking for: Olivetti M380-40 • Olivetti M486 • Olivetti M6 620 suprema • HP Vectra VL 6/400

Blog Entries

You know of someone still manufacturing 1/2" 2400' open-reel computer tape? Care to divulge that information? I suspect that several people would be most appreciative, yours truly being one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    You know of someone still manufacturing 1/2" 2400' open-reel computer tape? Care to divulge that information? I suspect that several people would be most appreciative, yours truly being one of them.
    joking aside, how much investment do you think we would be talking about to retool to make magnetic tape and disk media?

Someone wrote something, but it seems the message was deleted. Yes disks are rarer than you'd think, especially the double-density kind. That said they are not "rare" yet but the problem is they are expensive for what they are, that is over 30 years old and untested. Imagine paying 40 dollars for a NOS box of 10 disks, only to find out they are shedding or moldy or both.

See if there's something to your liking: www.atrtape.com

Blog Entries

Nope, that's all audio tape; different reels and media characteristics.

All the 1/2" open-reel computer tape you'll find today is old(er).

Bottom line is that there's no significant demand today for floppies or open-reel digital tape. Curiously, you can still purchase fresh 16mm film stock.

Ok. The only computer tape I have ever used is audio tape hooked up to an home computer. I know nothing about the more sophisticated formats.

Unfortunately the diskette could never coexist with the flash drive. While they are about as convenient, with the diskette actually faster at testing and dealing with very small files, the capacity of the flash drive and its speed when dealing with large files is simply impossible to beat.

What surprises me is how many different brands of diskettes there were. There are collections online of records and compact cassettes brands and labels such as tapedeck.org and majesticrecord.com . Wouldn't it be awesome to have the same but for diskettes? Even if I got rid of my entire collection of disks back in March because of mold (that's the reason I'm looking for new ones now), I haven't thrown them in the trash yet. I could still contribute if I find a power supply for my scanner.

Even if I got rid of my entire collection of disks back in March because of mold (that's the reason I'm looking for new ones now), I haven't thrown them in the trash yet.
    What exactly happened to them? Which kinds of disks are these?

Sometimes all poorly stored disks need is a good bath. Sometimes, even well stored ones. Smoke and pollution residue and other crap can collect on the surface and will rip things up if you just plop the disk in the drive. The key is if the crap has already permeated the oxide surface. The better quality media may be re-usable after it is carefully cleaned. 5.25" disks are fairly easy to rinse out, 3.5" disks can be cleaned but are a headache to dry.

Of course, they still won't last forever.