Image Map Image Map

Thread: Pentium-S with Sunshine EW-901 Eprom Programmer

Default Pentium-S with Sunshine EW-901 Eprom Programmer

Hello, I have recently gotten a Sunshine EW-901 programmer. I was not able to find too much about it, but found a website with ms-dos applications for it. I have a Pentium-s 166mhz system that is running windows 98SE, and I have read that the clock speed of Pentiums are too high to support the Sunshine, since it needs a fixed 8Mhz ISA bus clock for it to operate.

The Pentium computer has award bios and I have set it to have the 8-bit bus recovery time to 8 extra clocks, and I have also set the ISA bus to 8Mhz, but when I open the program in ms-dos, it does not want to read the rom that is currently inserted. Is there a fix to this in bios or windows, or do I just need an older computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick7928 View Post
    since it needs a fixed 8Mhz ISA bus clock for it to operate.
    This is more or less impossible to achieve because the ISA bus never had a defined clock speed. The original IBM XT ran it at 4.77 MHz, later clones ran it at the speed of the CPU, which could vary anywhere in between 4.77 MHz to 12 or 15 MHz. Even later PCI machines ran the bus off a divider from the PCI bus, which could be /3 or /4, giving it a clock of 11 or 8.25 MHz (assuming the PCI bus is 33.3 MHz, which wasn't always the case.)

What the more likely problem is the Pentium and not the ISA bus. Lots of older DOS programs don't run properly on a Pentium because they made use of a lot of time dependent code, which is run far too fast on a Pentium and even later 486 machines.

The only thing I could recommend trying is disabling all of the CPU cache, both internal and external. This will drastically slow the processor down, and is sometimes enough to make old time critical programs run correctly. If this doesn't work, you'll have to start walking back in time to find a CPU that will work. Start with a 486 DX/2 66 and go back from there.

Hello Nick7928;

I own a clone of the Sunshine programmer (MCT EPROM Writer) and have it working using an old 386 computer running the Sunshine
    software. I also noticed a Website "https://wiki.artifactory.org.au/doku.php?id=tools:eprommer" that states the user has a
    working EW901BN programmer running on a Pentium III @500Mhz. He lists the software he is using and offers it for download.
    You might give it a try as your machine is much slower. Also, you might have a problem with the ISA card that came with the
    programmer or the address the computer is using to access the card. You can also verify the voltage outputs for programming
    and adjust them if required using the potentiometers on the ISA card. The other resource you probaly found was
    "http://www.danbbs.dk/~rmadrm/eprom9.htm" which has good info on the programmer and ISA card.

Good luck;
    > Charles

https://wiki.artifactory.org.au/doku...tools:eprommer

Thank you for the software, I copied it to my Pentium machine and upon starting up, it returns a error identification on hardware error. Does this mean that the card itself is dead?

Blog Entries

If you're running your EW-901, be aware that there can be I/O port conflicts!

More info and a fix

I wasn't able to find anything on the motherboard I/O base address jumpers and windows 98SE did not see the card in the device manager. Are there certain drivers that I'm missing for the card? The motherboard that I have is the 586IPVG motherboard

Never mind, there was a text file in the folder of the programs, entering the right address into it, made it work.

Thanks everyone!

Hello, when I try and change the I/O base address in the ms-dos program itself, it says that the card does not exist. I found that it is indeed conflicting with the graphics card, is there a way to change the I/O address of the card in software?

Blog Entries

My recollection is that you can change the card address, but it's strictly a soldering iron cut-and-jumper affair. (I've still got an EW-904B that nobody made an offer on).

Hello Nick7928;

Sorry to hear you are still having problems with your EW-901 programmer. As Chuck has mentioned, there does not appear to be a way to change the I/O address for the EW-901 programmer card as it is set in hardware. Mine is set at 0390H using the option "(5) display I/O base adr of hardware" from the EPROM1.EXE program.

You don't give any specifics about your computer hardware but I think you will have to modify that to get the programmer to work. On "danbbs.dk" website there is a mention of removing a soundblaster card from the system to resolve hardware conflicts with address 0390H. If it is your video card you need to see if there are any jumpers on that card that might be disabled. In Windows 98 I think you can allocate resources manually to resolve conflicts using Device Manager but it's been a while since I used Win'98. If you are running the software from MSDOS in Win'98 this option will not be available.

So in summary, I don't think you can change the hardware I/O address of the EW-901; so you will have to change other hardware to accommodate it.

> Charles

You might also try this version of the EW-901 Sunshine software...
    EW_904B.zip
    Last edited by Dawsoca; April 26th, 2020 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Added Software