Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: DEC/Compaq DS-SWXRA-HC

Quote Originally Posted by bqt View Post
    Sounds like you're almost there. Do you happen to have any program cards for some DEC controller, so that you can test and read it as well?
    As I mentioned back in post #31 of this thread I do not currently have any cards with original DEC labels on them. I do have one 2MB Mitsubishi MELCARD MF82M1-77DAT01 that I was able to dump with my device programmer. From looking at the strings in the dump it appears that it might have originally contained HSOF firmware for an HSZ50 controller.

That is one of the cards that does not get recognized as a valid PCMCIA card on a standard Linux distribution because it does not contain a valid CIS (Card Information Structure). That is the issue that I hope setting the CONFIG_MTD_PCMCIA_ANONYMOUS option might resolve.

Some cards such as the Intel Series 2 cards (iMC002FLSA, iMC004FLSA, iMC010FLSA, iMC020FLSA), based on 28F008SA FlashFile™ chips, contain a hardwired CIS which should always be valid.

Same with the Intel Series 2+ cards (iMC004FLSP, iMCOOBFLSP, iMC020FLSP, iMC040FLSP), based on 28F016SA FlashFile™ chips. The Intel Series 2+ cards that I have were recognized as valid PCMCIA cards on the standard Linux distribution that I tried.

For reference on the Intel Series 2 and Series 2+ Flash Memory Cards:
    www.bitsavers.org/components/intel/_dataBooks/1995_Intel_Flash_Memory_Volume_2.pdf

Some cards such as the Intel Value Series 200 cards (iMC008FLSG, iMC016FLSG, iMC024FLSG, iMC032FLSG, iMC040FLSG, iMC048FLSG, iMC056FLSG, iMC064FLSG), based on 28F640J5 StrataFlash™ chips, store the CIS in the flash memory array. Depending on the intended usage of those cards a valid CIS may not be present and the memory may be used for other purposes. If the entire card is erased the CIS will be erased.

I have some 16MB iMC016FLSG Intel Value Series 200 cards with Cisco firmware labels on them that do not appear to contain a valid CIS.

Just for reference, here is the relevant Linux PCMCIA driver code in /drivers/pcmcia/ds.c where I believe the missing or invalid CIS issue prevents some Linear Flash memory cards from being recognized, and maybe configuring the CONFIG_MTD_PCMCIA_ANONYMOUS option will resolve that issue.

git.infradead.org/linux-mtd.git

Code:
    static int pcmcia_card_add(struct pcmcia_socket *s)
    {
    	cistpl_longlink_mfc_t mfc;
    	unsigned int no_funcs, i, no_chains;
    	int ret = -EAGAIN;

mutex_lock(&s->ops_mutex);
    	if (!(s->resource_setup_done)) {
    		dev_dbg(&s->dev,
    			   "no resources available, delaying card_add\n");
    		mutex_unlock(&s->ops_mutex);
    		return -EAGAIN; /* try again, but later... */
    	}

if (pcmcia_validate_mem(s)) {
    		dev_dbg(&s->dev, "validating mem resources failed, "
    		       "delaying card_add\n");
    		return -EAGAIN; /* try again, but later... */
    	}

ret = pccard_validate_cis(s, &no_chains);
    	if (ret || !no_chains) {
    #if defined(CONFIG_MTD_PCMCIA_ANONYMOUS)
    		/* Set up as an anonymous card. If we don't have anonymous
    		   memory support then just error the card as there is no
    		   point trying to second guess.

Note: some cards have just a device entry, it may be
    		   worth extending support to cover these in future */
    		if (ret == -EIO) {
    			dev_info(&s->dev, "no CIS, assuming an anonymous memory card.\n");
    			pcmcia_replace_cis(s, "\xFF", 1);
    			no_chains = 1;
    			ret = 0;
    		} else
    #endif
    		{
    			dev_dbg(&s->dev, "invalid CIS or invalid resources\n");
    			return -ENODEV;
    		}
    	}

if (!pccard_read_tuple(s, BIND_FN_ALL, CISTPL_LONGLINK_MFC, &mfc))
    		no_funcs = mfc.nfn;
    	else
    		no_funcs = 1;
    	s->functions = no_funcs;

for (i = 0; i < no_funcs; i++)
    		pcmcia_device_add(s, i);

return ret;
    }

I just found that I have a card from an HSG80, with a sticker saying "V83G" in my handwriting.
    The card is a MELCARD MF82M1-77DAT01, 2 MB.
    I can send it to one of you guys if you would like it for study, because it very likely has a valid HSOF image on it.
    I also have the G80 controller module that it came from (just the PCB, no sheet metal), with a pair of the early style FibreChannel GLM's in it.

Pete