Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Erasing UV EPROMs

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    Sorry completely missed that the first time I read that post. I guess either your software has incorrect IC config information for that chip, or the chip is bad.
    Well the chip works fine in the actual board (it is the BIOS for a SCSI controller) so I am going to go with the SW. The programmer is one of those cheapy jobs you find on eBay powered by USB only. I think the manufacturer may even be already out of business and I have not seen any updated software in years....
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    If you bought the same model that I did, I took it apart and it is easily the most electrically dangerous item in my house. I won't even leave it plugged in unattended. Undertaker's Labs approved. But it does work.
    Ha Ha, that is very funny, I had not heard this joke in Australia before, it must be unique to the USA. Though of course we see a lot of imported parts with the UL logo on them... still laughing !

Another one is what the CE logo stands for on imported Chinese electrical apparatus, it stands for: "China Export"

Blog Entries

Yup, I've got an IR switch module made for the Australian market, but also sold into the US market. Has the "swivel prongs" that can be adjusted for either type of receptacle. Of course, it's not grounded nor polarized and is a safety nightmare inside.

Another question on this topic: Is there any danger to wiping the ROMs for too long. Say an hour? I have found some EPROMs required more then one 15 minute tx (this is with a proper erprom eraser). Thanks.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Generally i find 10 -20 minutes is usually long enough, Make sure the window is clean, Some i found can be a bit stubborn and required another erase for a longer period, I've read that they can be over-erased which is not good for the eprom but it depends on your eraser, I bought my eprom eraser used about 15 years ago for 5 so it's probably not upto snuff anyway now.

Thanks for the input. I bought mine used off of eBay a few years back. It is a USA made Logical Devices Inc. which means nothing to me . But it seems to do the trick most of the time. It has a built in timer that goes until one hour so I am guessing the manufacturer thought it was safeish.

Mine is an old RS 424-254 model with a timer that goes to one hour, With some old eproms i've had issues where for example: After erasing them i put them in my newer GQ 4x programmer i bought new back in 2010, My GQ4 will wrongly report that the eprom is not completely blank thus can't program them, I put them back in my eraser for 1 hour and my GQ4 still reported the eprom not blank, I drag out my trusty DATA I/O programmer and using the same eprom i do a blank check which passes and i can program the eprom perfectly. Newer programmers don't always fully support older chips they claim to.

Blog Entries

Do any newer Chinese programmers support the old 3-rail (e.g. 2708) EPROMs? I've never seen one that does.

I doubt it, But then i've never seen one either, The old eproms i was referring to were mainly old Intel and AMD 27256, In the software for my EMP20 there are 3 programming algorithms for either the Intel or AMD, not sure which one right now, I know AMD did a die change way back but i think it was on the 512 IIRC.

Blog Entries

It's hard to think of 27256s as "old", when I remember getting excited about the 5V-only 2516.