Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone know what this card is?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by acenewman View Post
    Sorry if this is a duplicate. I replied once already and I am not sure where that reply went??

I have the same card. The three wires terminate at a d-sub 9 pin female connector. Pins 2, 3, 6. Mine came out of a iie platinum from a middle school. Always assumed it must have been some kind of education related hardware.
    I missed some of this, 2,3 are TX/RS... 6 is... DTR? No its DSR, classic printer controls...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Lower Planes BBS Ports 22/23 telnet or SSH
    Pineapple Home of the Hardware Database
    Australian BBS list old style BBS registry listing.

Blog Entries

In this case, not controls, the black and red wires are 0V and 5V respectively. They are not handshaking lines. As IBM, Apple and Commodore have taught us D-sub connectors can and are used for anything.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    In this case, not controls, the black and red wires are 0V and 5V respectively. They are not handshaking lines. As IBM, Apple and Commodore have taught us D-sub connectors can and are used for anything.
    Well aint that the truth.. I s'pose it could feasibly be serial, but far less likely... +5 to drive something... 0 gnd, and data? Ponder.. I don't know enough to posit anything more
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    This adapter makes no damn sense in my head how it's a barcode reader.
    You have +5 and ground coming in on pins 26 and 25 but the output from whatever was plugged into the header simply goes through a pullup resistor, into pin 13 of the LS244 (which is just a line driver/buffer), then out again on pin 7 directly to pin 47 (D2) on the data bus, The two other IC's just compliment the circuit somehow but otherwise never directly interact with the signal.

Is it just bit banging pulses from the barcode wand directly to the Apple II?
    There is an ad for the barcode reader suggesting it came with an I/O card... but every example of the reader appears to plug into the joystick interface and not this card. They also made a 'CashBox' which perhaps this card was used for. The three wires likely could have powered a solenoid to open, and had a sense line to determine if the box was open.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lowlevel View Post
    There is an ad for the barcode reader suggesting it came with an I/O card... but every example of the reader appears to plug into the joystick interface and not this card. They also made a 'CashBox' which perhaps this card was used for. The three wires likely could have powered a solenoid to open, and had a sense line to determine if the box was open.
    All speculation but the ones I've seen the cash draw is activated via the receipt printer, and don't care if the draw is open or not... not that I've seen anything this old, or Apple II for POS.. as good an idea as any though.