Image Map Image Map

Thread: hardware options for running RHL

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Default hardware options for running RHL

I purchased a sealed copy of Kylix 3 Enterprise last year. Had been looking for a reasonable copy for a while. Afaik it compiles to 32 bit, runs on a 32 bit os. Iirc it was contemporary with RHL 7. I luckily have 3 socket 7 snc's in my stash, and I imagine they'll do alright. I have little hope of getting K3 to run on something modern, especially given my luck with linux lately. I have pretty much no hope of getting rhl 7 running on modern hardware given there is no support for sata drives. I had thought actual scsi disk might present a workaround, and they're around and cheap. Then have to find a controller for pci.

I've seen pci raid controllers that seem to specify their operability with ata drives. But rhl 7 may not recognize them, even if they are mainstream, Adaptec for instance.

So ... anyone fotzing around with RHL 6, 7, ... on modern hardware? And what about it's successor, RHLE. Which versions were 32 bit, if any, and which did or didn't support sata?

And how unlikely is it to add sata support to rhl 7?

Things are getting scary for enthusiasts of not so old s/w. Damned scary.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    I purchased a sealed copy of Kylix 3 Enterprise last year. Had been looking for a reasonable copy for a while. Afaik it compiles to 32 bit, runs on a 32 bit os. Iirc it was contemporary with RHL 7. I luckily have 3 socket 7 snc's in my stash, and I imagine they'll do alright. I have little hope of getting K3 to run on something modern, especially given my luck with linux lately. I have pretty much no hope of getting rhl 7 running on modern hardware given there is no support for sata drives. I had thought actual scsi disk might present a workaround, and they're around and cheap. Then have to find a controller for pci.

I've seen pci raid controllers that seem to specify their operability with ata drives. But rhl 7 may not recognize them, even if they are mainstream, Adaptec for instance.

So ... anyone fotzing around with RHL 6, 7, ... on modern hardware? And what about it's successor, RHLE. Which versions were 32 bit, if any, and which did or didn't support sata?

And how unlikely is it to add sata support to rhl 7?

Things are getting scary for enthusiasts of not so old s/w. Damned scary.
    Ah I still have RHL7.1 on it's original hdd. Runs fine on a P166mmx and K6-2 266 systems wel before it was released. 3 and 4 pci slots respectively. Even have usb support for mouse and keyboard using a 4 port pci usb 2.0 card, Those systens even run Debian and Duvian Jessie just fine. I did a net install of both without hiccups.Oh an I can access usb thumb drives and the like.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; April 29th, 2020 at 04:36 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."