Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NUXT v2.0 motherboard is now available!

Default NUXT v2.0 motherboard is now available!

I just got an email that the NUXT v2.0 is now ready. I went to the Monotech website and put in my order for one. I have been waiting since last fall for these to come out. Should be a lot of fun putting this together!

Blog Entries

I'm not entirely familiar with the development history of the NUXT, but WHY is the Video mezzanine based around a Trident video chip? Those were not stellar DOS performers.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    I'm not entirely familiar with the development history of the NUXT, but WHY is the Video mezzanine based around a Trident video chip? Those were not stellar DOS performers.
    I think the explanation is basically: "Some guy started listing a ton of old stock chips on eBay and they're the only ISA VGA chip that's close to readily available".

Certainly can't say much to defend Trident, I had a TVGA9000 in my first 486 and it was *dreadful* running at any beyond-VGA resolution (especially 256 color), but I doubt it matters much on an XT-class machine.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

At $340, still too rich for my blood. I can buy & load up an XT clone for less than that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Availability I'd imagine.
    But if Jacob comes on here or if you flick him a message I'm sure he can answer that for sure.

Also not sure why that matters on an 8088, mine usually run old MDA or CGA boards.

Got my NuXT v2.0 motherboard today. I will be doing the build this week and will report back on my experience using it.

I just received mine today! Working on setting it up, however I'm running into an odd issue where if you reboot it the VGA and main BIOS post routines come up in black and white, and then it boots into DOS with no working screen. You can still type commands and see the CF light blink, but you can't tell what's going on. If you ctrl-alt-del a bunch of times it'll eventually POST in color and then boot properly. I haven't had a chance to go through the troubleshooting steps yet, but it sounds like it's not properly reading the video configuration and is defaulting to mono.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    At $340, still too rich for my blood. I can buy & load up an XT clone for less than that.
    This is why I don't really "get" the NuXT boards. If someone can clue me in as to what the market for these are, I'd appreciate it.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

The only other thing I can think of is it's ATX form factor and uses a standard ATX power supply.

Optionally people who want that hardware DOS gaming experience, but don't want that ugly old computer (?) anywhere NEAR their desk.......because for whatever reason those people do exist and make you feel old as you wave your cane at them.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater