Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NUXT v2.0 motherboard is now available!

I think some of you guy's miss the point it's the
    sheer joy of building your own computer and using it..
    Never Bin or sell your old computer's you will regret it!!
    Vic 20 x3,C64 x2,128D,C128 flat deck,A1000 x2,A500 x3,A2000,A600,A1200,Apple ][e,2x Apple][ GS rom 01,03,Apple ][c x4 with only 1 PSU,2x Laser 128EX EX2,Atari 600XL,2x 800XL,130XE w/320 mod With a MyIDE plus,Atari 1040stf w/2.5meg..

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    This is why I don't really "get" the NuXT boards. If someone can clue me in as to what the market for these are, I'd appreciate it.
    I agree. I built an entire genuine IBM XT from an empty case for less than $340. Not bashing the project, as I certainly appreciate the effort put into it, but I too, don’t really “get” it. An XT just doesn’t seem rare or expensive enough to replicate.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisUnionNJ View Post
    I think some of you guy's miss the point it's the
    sheer joy of building your own computer and using it..
    I built a genuine IBM XT last year, so I certainly understand the joy of building, but I can’t see paying more for a reproduction than the real thing.
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

Blog Entries

This is going to be an unpopular post but it's marketed at people who are too stupid to know better. People who like to throw money at problems to get a solution and people who don't like working with old hardware because somehow *old* old computers is hard.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

for me originally it was soldering up sergeys xt8088, u8088, building the vga card, building the cf xtide card. soldering it all up.

that was the fun in the design.

having someone do it all for you, shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    The only other thing I can think of is it's ATX form factor and uses a standard ATX power supply.
    Pre-made ATX to AT power adapters are currently on eBay for $8. Past eBay sellers listed ATX I/O shields that had the single large DIN cut-outs for AT MBs, but I'm having trouble finding them now. I'm sure AliExpress has them somewhere!

I can see spending hundreds on the real-deal. Hundreds on a clone that can't run Doom is a bit much.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Blog Entries

It's kind of like the guy who builds a kit car in lieu of restoring the original. I think it's an ideal project for the person(s) who like to dabble with older software like games and such, but do not possess the know-how or, have the time and resources for the original thing. This project may affect the vintage reseller's bottom line but that's the way it goes in the business world. I don't think that the price is out of line considering the time and engineering that went into it. Would I buy it? Probably not at this point in time, as I have a fully functional 5160 in its original box that been setting on a shelf for over 6 years and I haven'r even bothered to look at at (yeah! - real neat with manuals and software). Just my opinion and I'm sure it will rankle some.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    I'm not entirely familiar with the development history of the NUXT, but WHY is the Video mezzanine based around a Trident video chip? Those were not stellar DOS performers.
    I recall Trident as being fairly common and I'm guessing it's a stable base line.... 'Oak' was another one... 'Paradise'....

Personally I think it's "fine". If nothing else it's an interesting novelty having a new-build XT that fits in a modern case, and while $340 isn't "cheap" it's also not exactly exorbitant considering it's a fully manufactured new item that relies on a few semi-hard-to-find parts. Inflation-adjust for, say, 1988 dollars and it's like buying a populated 1MB turbo XT motherboard with a full set of multi-IO interfaces and a VGA card for only about $160, which would be one heck of a deal.

Maybe it just doesn't seem like an unreasonably expensive toy to me living in a world where people pay $800 for branded Lego sets.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Got the system put together. It's working well except the BIOS reports my 5.25" 360K drive B: as a 1.44MB floppy even though I have the drive type set properly. Probably a bug in the BIOS and I will have to report this to Monotech. Tried using DRIVPARM in the config.sys, but that is not working. This only affects trying to format floppies and I can do that on one of the other XT class machines I have, so not a big deal at this point. I added an Adlib sound card, ISA game port card, and a Lo-Tech 2MB EMS board to the system. Really pleased overall on how it is working.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jasa1063 View Post
    ...BIOS reports my 5.25" 360K drive B: as a 1.44MB floppy even though I have the drive type set properly...
    Try disconnecting pin 34 on the floppy cable at the 360k drive. This pin is used for DSKCHG on high density drives but on 360k drives it is usually disconnected or is sometimes used for DISK Ready. This can confuse some floppy controllers, if pin 34 is disconnected, the drive will still function perfectly and you might find the problem goes away.