Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circumventing Windows 2000 Password

Default Circumventing Windows 2000 Password

Hi Guys,
    I got a call yesterday asking me if there was some way to get around Windows 2000 asking for a password during startup. Here's the issue:

There is an old scanner which has no drivers for any recent OS. The old scanner is needed because it will do things which newer scanners will not. The scanner used to be on the the Windows 2000 machine but it has not been used for so long any passwords are forgotten. So when it was time to boot it up, the prompt for a password appeared and stalemate.

Obviously the machine could be reloaded from scratch but if the scanner drivers are no longer available it wouldn't do much good. And if the machine cannot be booted, there's no chance to run Double Driver (if it works for W2000) to extract the drivers beforehand.

I guess one option is to boot the machine to Win XP using Hiren's Boot CD, extract the drivers and then reload with Win 2000. But maybe there is an easier way.

I know many of you eat and breath this stuff, but with the little time I spend with computers now, I may be forgetting more than I remember. So if there are any ideas out there, please let me know.

Thanks...Joe

There are CD's you can boot from that will load the registry and either blank or set the password.

Something like this: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Oh and since you mentioned Hirens boot CD, it looks like that will do it too: https://www.hirensbootcd.org/howtos/
    Last edited by jafir; April 30th, 2020 at 09:46 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcheapskate View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I got a call yesterday asking me if there was some way to get around Windows 2000 asking for a password during startup. Here's the issue:

There is an old scanner which has no drivers for any recent OS. The old scanner is needed because it will do things which newer scanners will not. The scanner used to be on the the Windows 2000 machine but it has not been used for so long any passwords are forgotten. So when it was time to boot it up, the prompt for a password appeared and stalemate.

Obviously the machine could be reloaded from scratch but if the scanner drivers are no longer available it wouldn't do much good. And if the machine cannot be booted, there's no chance to run Double Driver (if it works for W2000) to extract the drivers beforehand.

I guess one option is to boot the machine to Win XP using Hiren's Boot CD, extract the drivers and then reload with Win 2000. But maybe there is an easier way.

I know many of you eat and breath this stuff, but with the little time I spend with computers now, I may be forgetting more than I remember. So if there are any ideas out there, please let me know.

Thanks...Joe
    Real long shot: Try booting into the "Safe" mode (F and see if that lets you in. If so, go to 'User Accounts' and attempt to reset the P/W.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

What is the scanner?

Blog Entries

Ultimate boot disk CD. Clears old passwords in NT based windows.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

yeah it's a trivial task with Hiren's

Blog Entries

Yeah, I've used a unix-based boot CD (or floppy) to clear the password. This program works on any windows NT,W2K,XP and later. My advice is to reset the Administrator password and set it to blank (nothing). It gives the choice of setting the password to something else, but I've found it doesn't work.

Once you're in, you can patch the registry to set a default user logon and password, and it will auto-login upon boot. You'll never have to worry about it again.

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    yeah it's a trivial task with Hiren's
    This is what I've always used:

https://trinityhome.org/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robbbert View Post
    My advice is to reset the Administrator password and set it to blank (nothing). It gives the choice of setting the password to something else, but I've found it doesn't work.
    I always set the Windows password to "password" for personal use inside my home and away from prying eyes..