Image Map Image Map

Thread: Possible Hard Drive Issue

Default Possible Hard Drive Issue

Was spending some time on my recently acquired 5170 this evening. Playing around in Wordstar primarily and the hard drive seemed to momentarily spool down. Only lasted a second or two and then it spun back up. Few minutes later it did it again. It currently has what I assume is the original MFM type 20 drive in it. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this type of behavior? I already have a IDE controller on the way and was planning to install an IDE drive or CF card as the primary drive but planned to keep the MFM in there as well assuming it was still working. Kind of like the sound of it spinning up when you turn on the computer. My initial thought was that it's probably an indication that the drive is on the way out, but could it be the controller or even a power supply issue?? Appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks, Chris

I would probably go with it being a power supply issue. You probably shouldn't use the machine until you get it sorted out, as dirty power is going to be really hard on an already ancient drive and potentially kill it.

This might have some relevant information:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...-5170-Problems
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Good point. When I tore it down for cleaning I couldn't find the right safety/torque bit to get the supply open. Sounds like a project for this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by acenewman View Post
    but could it be the controller ...
    The 'MFM' ('ST-506/ST-412') interface is shown at [here]. There is no spin up type control line.

All of the MFM hard drives that I have 'played with' simply spin up on application of power, even with the control and data cables not connected. So perhaps connect power only to the drive, and then see how the drive behaves over time.

Quote Originally Posted by acenewman View Post
    ... or even a power supply issue??
    Consider too the power supply's connection to the drive. A possibility is that in the mating Molex connectors, one or more pin connections are not 'snug' enough.

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    Consider too the power supply's connection to the drive. A possibility is that in the mating Molex connectors, one or more pin connections are not 'snug' enough.
    and/or they are oxidized, cleaning the contacts can help

Shot some deoxit on the connector and worked in on and off a few times. Has not had the issue since.