Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RTC for IBM 5160

Default RTC for IBM 5160

Hi guys,
    Are there any modern RTC that can be used with an IBM 5160? I'm wanting to install one but the prices on Ebay are stating to seem quiet crazy. I just need the RTC don't really need an all-in-one card.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Not all those who wander are lost. - J. R. R. Tolkien

eBay prices have been crazy for a few years now :P

Not aware of any new project cards that included an RTC, but if you have a network card you can use mTCP to automatically set the time.

Most ISA cards with an RTC will be some kind of multi-I/O card, although they may allow you to disable extra stuff on the card.

I know they did make some cards with just RTC, but they were fairly uncommon. Was looking for one a while back to add to a machine that already had built-in serial and parallel. Eventually gave up and just decided to party like it 1-1-1980!

Multi-I/O cards come up quite a bit. Some sellers always want way to much, but one might eventually come up that is not too expensive.

Not really modern but one option that doesn't take up a slot is on Modem7's site Adding a DS1216E Real-Time Clock (RTC) Module, I have a non IBM Floppy controller with RTC in my 5160.

@Malc @someguy. Hi mate, yeah partying like 1980 is good but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and need my date and time haha.. I have pending an installation for a NIC but think Modem7s solution looks good. No slot needed Thanks ...

I don't know if this what you are looking for, but I ordered a couple of these and they work quite well. Only cost about $6 a piece. I use the rtc.com program from the JR-IDE to set the time. I ordered them set for I/O port 70H.

https://www.tindie.com/products/spar...low-profile-2/http://www.vcfed.org/forum/newreply....9124&noquote=1
    Last edited by jasa1063; May 1st, 2020 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasa1063 View Post
    I don't know if this what you are looking for, but I ordered a couple of these and they work quite well. Only cost about $6 a piece. I use the rtc.com program from the JR-IDE to set the time. I ordered the set for I/O port 70H.

https://www.tindie.com/products/spar...low-profile-2/
    Wow good price and here in Spain

Someone should consider churning out an XT-IDE card that includes a DS1215 socket connected to the EEPROM and battery clip. Given the increasing rarity of other options that'd be an effective method of solving the RTC problem without consuming a slot or requiring a separate piggyback in a ROM socket on the motherboard.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

There are zero slot clocks that plug into the CPU's socket.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I use this one with very good results:

https://www.tindie.com/products/spar...-profile-spld/

I have written an utility in Turbo Pascal (4.0 or higher) to configure the card. Here it is with the source code for those interested:

rtc.zip

I/O ports are defined as constants in the declaration section of the program. There is very little error checking but I have been using it successfully for some time. Feel free to use/improve it as you like.

NOTE: I've rewritten the program in C I'll upload it soon.

As promised, here is the C version of the above RTC program:

rtc_c.zip

to see the stored date and time run it without parameters (it will check first battery status), RTC G to Get time and date from RTC into DOS system clock and RTC S to Set time and date into RTC from DOS system clock.

Hope this helps.