Image Map Image Map

Thread: WinImage issues Win 7

Default WinImage issues Win 7

Having issues writing disks with WinImage in windows 7. Curious if anyone else has experienced the same issue. Using a Toshiba USB 3.5" drive. The drive seems to work fine, reads disks, formats disks, etc. When I hit the button to write a disk in WinImage nothing happens. No error message just doesn't do anything. Any thoughts?? It will read a disk in WinImage, just won't write one.

I have used WinImage successfully on another Win98 machine but it's not my regular machine and I have to set it up every time I want to use it. So kind of a pain.

Are there any DOS solutions that can write a WinImage file back to a disk? My main machines are the Win 7 machine and a Dos 6.22 machine. Besides of course the IBM 5170 and my apple ii collection. Thanks, Chris

I've found most USB floppy drives that i tried over the years have had problems writing etc, I use Mike Brutman's DSKIMAGE with DOS 6.22, Works fine for me.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

WinImage seemed to work very well with Windows 2000 Server, but it's been years. In fact I was able to read Tandy 2000 720k 5 1/4" disks with w2k, a generic 1.2mb drive and WI. I should still have those images somewhere.

If you want a very worthwhile imaging problem, try Dave Dunfield's Imagedisk. It seems he fell ofd the map ages ago, but still maintains a site for vintage stuff.

It seems it's expedient to have to at least occasionally use many of the imaging programs out there depending on what falls in your lap, that is what program created the image you're dealing with. So use the best setup you can determine to get the job done. But in general if you're creating images, use something established like Imagedisk. Or the unmentionable T***disk.

Blog Entries

I have used Winimage on both 7 and 10 without issue. Try running it as administrator and see if that makes a difference.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    I've found most USB floppy drives that i tried over the years have had problems writing etc...
    Like Malc says, USB floppies tend to have issues. Sometimes they seem to work more reliably after the machine has been freshly booted. Unquestionably the best situation is to use a machine with an internal floppy.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    WinImage seemed to work very well with Windows 2000 Server, but it's been years. In fact I was able to read Tandy 2000 720k 5 1/4" disks with w2k, a generic 1.2mb drive and WI. I should still have those images somewhere.

If you want a very worthwhile imaging problem, try Dave Dunfield's Imagedisk. It seems he fell ofd the map ages ago, but still maintains a site for vintage stuff.

It seems it's expedient to have to at least occasionally use many of the imaging programs out there depending on what falls in your lap, that is what program created the image you're dealing with. So use the best setup you can determine to get the job done. But in general if you're creating images, use something established like Imagedisk. Or the unmentionable T***disk.
    He'e still around: http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

So your saying I can write a WinImage file back to disk using Mike Burtman's DSKIMAGE in DOS 6.22? If that's the case I am all over that. Would rather be working in DOS anyways.

I will try running WinImage as Administrator also. Pretty sure I tried that about 3 am a few nights ago, but it was 3 am. So who knows what I did

Quote Originally Posted by acenewman View Post
    So your saying I can write a WinImage file back to disk using Mike Burtman's DSKIMAGE in DOS 6.22? If that's the case I am all over that. Would rather be working in DOS anyways.
    I have used Mike Brutmans DSKIMAGE utility to write "WinImage" .img files to floppy many times before, YMMV depending on the version of Winimage that was used, I haven't actually used the WinImage program for a long time, When working with floppy images i use DOS 6.22.

Hats off to Mike Brutman. Loving his DSKIMAGE utility. Just finished imaging about 35 disks from back in my Tandy 1000 days. Happy to report there wasn't a single disk that couldn't be imaged.

Have a few games I couldn't image of course due to the copy protection (space quest 1 & 2). Any recommendations for imaging copy protected disks?