Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cromemco Dazzler Foil patterns

Blog Entries

Default Cromemco Dazzler Foil patterns

Was just reading the Feb 76 article on the above and it noted that you could mail in for a free booklet that had the foil patterns for both boards inside, presumably to etch your own. Does anyone know if a copy of that mailout exists somewhere?

Now that would be an interesting project!

Dave

Feb 76 article in which publication?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by exidyboy View Post
    Feb 76 article in which publication?
    Whoops.. Popular Electronics.

It says 'the schematics and foil patterns are available free of charge..'.

They do have the red and blue patterns in the later assembly guides but I'm not sure how I'd go about separating those if I wanted to try making PCBs from them.

Are you interested in a reproduction? There is the Dazzler II project...

http://s100computers.com/My%20System...II%20Board.htm

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snuci View Post
    Are you interested in a reproduction? There is the Dazzler II project...

http://s100computers.com/My%20System...II%20Board.htm
    I was just curious if they had actually put out full PCB plans. I've not seen a lot of S100 stuff come out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Was just reading the Feb 76 article on the above and it noted that you could mail in for a free booklet that had the foil patterns for both boards inside, presumably to etch your own. Does anyone know if a copy of that mailout exists somewhere?
    It would be wonderful if these could be found.

My interest would be to make an exact replica board set to the original, which could be done with the schematics and foil design and if anyone else wanted this too I would pool $ funding to help make the pcb's and get the overall cost down for others too. Since I found out about the Dazzler I have always wanted to have one and to try it out in my SOL-20.So far I have used Matrox graphics cards in my Sol.

One option would be to get an existing Dazzler pcb set and make an exact clone. I have done this with the SOL-20 ROM module and with the Votrax type and talk unit. In the latter case I cloned the pcb from internet photos and got it very very close, have a look at the board images in this article. I actually drew these as jpegs in a drawing program (Microsoft Picture It) and my pcb maker found a way to capture them into Altium, see page 9 & 10 of this article for the drawings & pcb:

http://worldphaco.com/uploads/VOTRAX...TS_HERO_JR.pdf

So a high quality pcb can be created with this method, albeit a little unorthodox.

Hugo.

I just looked on S-100 computers, there are good photos of the top pcb surfaces and even the foil layouts for the top tracks are right there, in the manual. All that is missing is the pcb solder side foil pattern, but just a straight of photo of the solder side of these pcb's would be enough to create a replica pcb ! Can anybody who has these boards take a photo of the solder side of each board ? helpful to have it square on, not taken at an angle.
    Last edited by Hugo Holden; May 6th, 2020 at 09:13 PM.

It wouldn't be impossible to separate out the red and blue in the assembly guide, as you can see from this very rough, quite literally 5 minutes work in GIMP on the first board.

Dazzler board 1 top.jpg
    Top layer
    Dazzler board 1 bottom.jpg
    Bottom layer

To actually get it to the point of being able to use it as a mask would be considerably more work, but it could be done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Holden View Post
    It would be wonderful if these could be found.

My interest would be to make an exact replica board set to the original, which could be done with the schematics and foil design and if anyone else wanted this too I would pool $ funding to help make the pcb's and get the overall cost down for others too. Since I found out about the Dazzler I have always wanted to have one and to try it out in my SOL-20.So far I have used Matrox graphics cards in my Sol.

One option would be to get an existing Dazzler pcb set and make an exact clone. I have done this with the SOL-20 ROM module and with the Votrax type and talk unit. In the latter case I cloned the pcb from internet photos and got it very very close, have a look at the board images in this article. I actually drew these as jpegs in a drawing program (Microsoft Picture It) and my pcb maker found a way to capture them into Altium, see page 9 & 10 of this article for the drawings & pcb:

http://worldphaco.com/uploads/VOTRAX...TS_HERO_JR.pdf

So a high quality pcb can be created with this method, albeit a little unorthodox.

Hugo.

I just looked on S-100 computers, there are good photos of the top pcb surfaces and even the foil layouts for the top tracks are right there, in the manual. All that is missing is the pcb solder side foil pattern, but just a straight of photo of the solder side of these pcb's would be enough to create a replica pcb ! Can anybody who has these boards take a photo of the solder side of each board ? helpful to have it square on, not taken at an angle.

I'm wondering if there isn't a sneaky way to use color filters to take the red/blue layouts and create each side that way. Ie filter out the red, convert the blue to black, then vice versa to have both sides of it (obviously the back side would have to be flipped).

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne_H View Post
    It wouldn't be impossible to separate out the red and blue in the assembly guide, as you can see from this very rough, quite literally 5 minutes work in GIMP on the first board.

Dazzler board 1 top.jpg
    Top layer
    Dazzler board 1 bottom.jpg
    Bottom layer

To actually get it to the point of being able to use it as a mask would be considerably more work, but it could be done.
    Hi, That is good.

Do you have the diagram of the bottom (solder side) of the other of the two pcb's ?