Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network over LPT or COM port

Default Network over LPT or COM port

You have INTERSVR and INTERLNK from MS-DOS and Lantastic 4.1 that can be used to access the drives of another PC over the LPT or COM port as if they were part of your own directory. I'm quite well in programming in ASM and Pascal and I want to program such a tool myself. So I searched internet and ran into EtherDFS. Looked like a nice start but it stated that the server part should run on a Linux machine and the source for this program was not given. And my tool should be able to run on 8088/8086 machines, both server and client.

I had a look at RAMdrives. But I cannot see how to use this in combination with I/O ports. And even if I saw it, I just have the client side. How to handle the server side? or is it as simple as "just sending the info the client needs"? If the client needs the directory, what should be sent, the text as it woud appear on the screen or just some raw data?

Who is able to help me with some pointers, please?

Many thanks in advance!
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Blog Entries

Re-inventing the wheel? If it floats your boat.

I suggest you look into Netware Lite, Netware DOS/NDOS (formerly DR-DOS plus Netware Lite).

https://www.brutman.com/Dos_Networking/

Blog Entries

I was forgetting Netware Lite evolved into Personal Netware too, which might be the basis in Novell DOS.

Have you had a look at U - N E T II? It's a full parallel port client/server network. Maybe it could give you some pointers.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    Re-inventing the wheel? If it floats your boat.
    Mainly to learn HOW it is done. I can use the knowledge for other projects.

I suggest you look into Netware Lite, Netware DOS/NDOS (formerly DR-DOS plus Netware Lite).
    I have the original Novell-DOS 7.01 and I made it work so that was not the problem. But in general it takes so much time to setup the network that I rather prefer tools like Laplink or UFO.

I completely forgot about that one, thank you very much!

www.baltissen.org

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Have you had a look at U - N E T II? It's a full parallel port client/server network. Maybe it could give you some pointers.
    Unfortunately it is just the software, no sources.

www.baltissen.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
    So I searched internet and ran into EtherDFS. Looked like a nice start but it stated that the server part should run on a Linux machine and the source for this program was not given. And my tool should be able to run on 8088/8086 machines, both server and client.
    It looks like the source for both the client and server are on sourceforge?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/etherdfs/files/
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Blog Entries

Shades of "The $25 network" (Still have the disk)

Blog Entries

Somewhere around here I still have some fancy cables used for parallel networking from a bit name back in the day (forget who).

The only times I got into serial networking was feeding disk images to my C1541 drive or to an Amiga.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Shades of "The $25 network" (Still have the disk)
    Used the program a lot in the 90s.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me