Image Map Image Map

Thread: Trying to figure out what joystick i had as a child (photo attached)

Question Trying to figure out what joystick i had as a child (photo attached)

Sooo.. I found a pic of me sitting in front of my "apple 2c" compatible thingie from about 40 years ago.. Does anyone know anything about the computer itself (rx-8800) didn't bring any results on google so i guess its some cheap branding..
    but the thing i would like to know is.. what is the joystick i have there.. any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi. Regarding the RX-8800, I googled "rx-8800 apple ii clone" and got a whole bunch of matches. E.g. Tezza wrote some articles a few years back: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz...on/rx-8800.htm .

Looks like the joystick from this advertisement:

http://www.applelogic.org/files/CHINHSINhires.JPG

CHINHSINhires.JPG

joystick.jpg

found that picture and google says it's at this link:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...88867098217943

but it's not loading for me.

It's a fairly generic no-frill two-pots-and-switches-in-a-metal-box joystick sold under a lot of different brands.
    Franklin sold a bunch in black as well.

I have two of these joysticks, one of them brand-new and still in its original box. The unit and the box are extremely generic, and has the looks of Eastern Asian origin. I've seen this joystick ship with Franklin and Basis systems, as well as other clones. I love this joystick!

I used to have one of these, it came from a Dept Store at the time. Must've got a pallet of mixed Apple and PC joysticks, they had both. I don't remember it having any kind of branding on it. Aside from cheap and usable, used to be a pain to hold, and it didn't centre very well.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Lower Planes BBS Ports 22/23 telnet or SSH
    Pineapple Home of the Hardware Database
    Australian BBS list old style BBS registry listing.

When I was in high school (early 1980s,) I took this very joystick of discussion and basically copied it. I was taking metal shop at the time, so I was able to fabricate my own case. My dad was flying radio control airplanes at the time, and had spare pots and joysticks on hand, taken from RC transmitters like what you see in the photo below. The joystick mechanism in this Futaba transmitter is essentially the same thing as what were used on joysticks for microcomputers. The pots in these transmitters are great quality, as you're actually flying RC airplanes and helicopters worth thousands of dollars, and you need something reliable. These transmitters sell dirt cheap, so it would be a great project to make your own joystick using these parts. In fact, you can probably turn this entire transmitter into an incredible gaming unit.

futaba_fp_t4fn_72.jpg

Blog Entries

As others have already said, this is a generic Apple ][ joystick. I had an identical one with my taiwanese 'Formosa' ][ clone back in the early 80s.
    You don't get to realise just how bad the cheap pots are until you come up with the idea (perhaps everybody does) of using it for an Applesoft drawing program by reading PDL(0) and PDL(1) and plotting the point in hires.
    With schoolkid expectations you run it and then try drawing a line, with dismay you find it just goes everywhere.
    Then your next idea to improve it is to draw a line from the last line segment and you find it creates just as much of a mess as the points.