Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dell 316LT

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I am in NE Ohio, where in PA are you? If we are close shipping would be cheap.
    I am in SE PA - I checked UPS Ground to the Cleveland area and it was roughly $30 for freight (almost 30 pounds). Let me know if you would like to move ahead with this.

Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    Only reason I said $200 max is because they obviously *can* bring that, but they probably don’t typically bring that much.
    True. I myself have seen some vintage systems sell for that kind of money (namely the ones from brands showcased by YouTubers like The 8-Bit Guy and LGR) but at that price point, it's going to take a while to find a buyer.

Blog Entries

The machine is in very good condition and surprised the dual scan screen looks and works better then expected.

Anyone know if they have a CMOS battery or relied on the main battery for CMOS backup?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    The machine is in very good condition and surprised the dual scan screen looks and works better then expected.

Anyone know if they have a CMOS battery or relied on the main battery for CMOS backup?
    Sounds good!

Definitely going to be a CMOS battery somewhere. I suggest carefully disassembling the unit until you find it. I’d also check for leaking capacitors as well, especially on the motherboard. Not sure if there will be any, as I’m not familiar with the 316LT.

Also, if that thing is running a Conner Peripherals slimline HDD (the OP mentioned a 40MB drive, so probably a CP-3044), you may find a brownish/tan-colored slimy substance in the machine, which is the gasket/seal that has melted. Fixing this will require removing the cover from the drive, cleaning up the mess (hopefully it hasn’t gotten on the platter) and resealing the drive with silicone (put the cover back on first, then just put silicone in the seam all the way around). Your seal could be fine though. You’ll just have to see.

Second problem with these drives is the foam insulation between the circuit board and drive frame deteriorates, and can cause the circuit board to short out, which usually ruins it. I fix this by removing the crumbling foam and replacing it with a piece of thick, rigid paper.

The rubber bumpers that the head arm rests on sometimes melt too. If your seal has melted and you have to remove the top anyway, I suggest checking these also.
    Last edited by compaqportableplus; May 15th, 2020 at 02:00 AM.
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

Blog Entries

I took the top off and din't see a coin type battery. I did wee a large battery pack under the keyboard. Since the main battery loaded from the side I assume that stores CMOS and possible keeps the machine running a few minutes while you swap the main batteries?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems