Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are you guys using for home lightbulbs?

LED all the way.

Check out this LED lighting. 3 lighting modes. Watch the video - second image to the left.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Ele...-308490434-_-N

What is this "light" of which you all speak? :P

Not much in the way of lighting, just a few floor lamps, some crappy halogen lighting in the kitchen, and a florescent desk lamp.

I really don't like how they have shoved LED lights down my throat. They are not all bad, but when I have looked for light bulbs, I have to be very careful to look for "warm" temperature lights. The ones most places sell are "cool" temperature blueish white that hurts my eyes.

I did eventually get a couple GE 60 watt "warm" 2700k 800lumrn dimmable LED bulbs from publix, and they worked OK although they cost a lot. That was a while back, so no idea if they still have anything that works that well.

More recently I got a cheap one from walmart, the temperature was OK, but noticed that it flashes at 60hz rather than delivering constant light. Also, when I turn anything power consuming on it will go completely black for a split moment.

Blog Entries

Out of curiosity are pretty much all the bulbs made in China?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

My main complaint about LED bulbs is that the cheap ones have horrible 60/120Hz flicker. The worst offenders are basically strobe lights because that have little to no power supply filtering.

Another issue is that LEDs don't work well with some dimmers. I have several multi bulb fixtures where I've had to keep an incandescent bulb in one socket as a ballast to make the dimmer happy. It's mostly a problem with modern electronic dimmers which steal power from the circuit to operate. Also, touch dimmers don't work with LEDs. The old knob dimmers are fine, but the dimming range of LEDs varies widely. They still dim better than dimmable CFLs.

If you don't need dimming capability, I have found these Philips bulbs to be very good.

60w equiv: https://www.usa.lighting.philips.com...b/046677469818
    45w equiv: https://www.usa.lighting.philips.com...b/046677469795

Available in soft white and light distribution is similar to incandescent since it uses filament LEDs. No flicker, plus they are the same size as incandescent bulbs. The flicker on bulbs usually comes from cheapo ballast designs having to support dimmers.

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    My main complaint about LED bulbs is that the cheap ones have horrible 60/120Hz flicker. The worst offenders are basically strobe lights because that have little to no power supply filtering.
    Most cheap LED bulbs use capacitor droppers, filtering isn't going to help due to how capacitor droppers run the LEDs at mains reference, only limiting the current.