Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are you guys using for home lightbulbs?

Almost all of the lights in my house are in recessed cans. The majority of them are still the Philips 90W PAR38 halogen flood bulbs that were installed when I moved here 15+ years ago. The bulbs in the kitchen area are the ones that are on most often, and the ones that I have had to replace most often. The Philips 90W bulbs became Philips "90W Equivalent" 72W bulbs, which seem to have a much shorter lifetime, maybe only 3 or 4 months for most of them.

The last set of bulbs I bought I switched to some Cree PAR38-120W-P1-30K-40FL bulbs.
    Color Corrected - CRI 93 - 1370 Lumens - 3000 Kelvin - 40 Deg. Flood

I probably would have gone with a lower output version of the same bulbs if they had one. They are supposed to be dimmable. I haven't gotten around to installing a dimmer yet to see how well that works.

Blog Entries

To offset some of the energy I use with my old gear I rebulbed everything with incandescent to LED which shaved a few hundred watts off the hourly usage in the winter months. The fun part is getting replacement bulbs that are "soft white" and not "Daylight", or "how to make any place look duller and more dreary than it really is". It's a bit of an art.
    Everything else remains either 4 or 8 foot T12 fluorescent or incandescent if it's special purpose. (6v pilot lights in the intercom panel)
    You can take my preheats when you can pry them from my cold, stiff fingers.

Most Canadian Dollar stores still stock incandescent bulbs though, so I keep a stock of them crated away for the apocalypse.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

The old style bulbs are getting expensive and don't last long anymore.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

If you didn't care about efficiency or light quality, there used to be US incandescents rated for 130V--a bit more orange, but much longer lasting. I don't know what became of them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Especially if you get them at Lowes. Their 'house' brand is terrible (ROC). Not too long ago I took a bag of about 8 or 10 back to the store because none of them worked.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    I use LED's throughout the house, but in my office I use incandescent because my DMR radio doesn't seem to like the LED's.
    I had some LED bulbs that interfered with my TV antenna. I was able to find some that didn't, and have all LED in the house now except for the under cabinet lights in the kitchen. It would have cost about $600 to switch them over.

Blog Entries

My kitchen under cabinet lights are the old "hockey puck" ones with 12V wedge-base lamps driven with AC. Replaced them all with LEDs with integral rectifiers and filters. Looks nice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    If you didn't care about efficiency or light quality, there used to be US incandescents rated for 130V--a bit more orange, but much longer lasting. I don't know what became of them.
    You mean the Rough Service bulbs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    You mean T12's? ReStore stopped socking them but most of the good Used Construction and Demolition Supply places still got a few shelves of them. You will probably keep seeing tubes there for another two or three decades.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    You mean the Rough Service bulbs?
    No, there was a "long life" line offered at one time, although the "rough service" lamps are a pretty good approximation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    ... oh yeah, the best part of those stupid tubes was they often broke when you tried to pull them out. A real gasser, literally.
    There was really nothing good about compact fluorescent bulbs, they were basically designed to fail.

Fluorescent lamps need to be "warm started", where the filaments on each end are pre-heated before the gas discharge happens. CFL bulbs don't do this, they basically just smack full voltage across the filaments, which causes them to blow material off onto the glass envelope. This is why the ends of the tube at the base turn black, eventually the filament will break or get so thin that it can't start anymore. Due to this problem, the more the bulb is power cycled, the faster it will die.

Additionally, the driver board in the base has no ventilation and runs as hot as an easybake oven, which kills the electronics and ultimately kills the board. I've actually had a few get so hot in open fixtures that they melted and one went on fire. I'd be terrified to run them in an enclosed fixture and never have.

I was glad when LED bulbs came along and became economical. The downside to them though is light quality is bad on cheap bulbs, and they tend to use capacitor droppers which have horrible power factor. If power companies start charging for apparent power vs real power, you'll end up paying more in electricity than using old incandescent bulbs on the really shitty power factor LED bulbs.