Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are you guys using for home lightbulbs?

Blog Entries

Default What are you guys using for home lightbulbs?

Every so many years the electric company sends out a post card offering free stuff to improve electric efficiency.

I figured why not and ended up getting a few LED nightlights (they suck), a special surge strip that controls other devices if the main plug is pulling current (good for a component stereo system I guess), and a few LED light bulbs.

We still use old style glass bulbs around here (well somewhat energy efficient ones that use 73w instead of the full 100) because the LED bulbs I seen had bad lighting and didn't last long.

To my surprise the 15W 100W equivalent was pretty decent so I grabbed the model number and ordered 10 more and changed out some bulbs in the house.

A19 LED lamp
    100W equivalent
    1600 lumens
    25,000 hrs average life (wonder how they figured that out)
    soft white 2700K color temp.
    something like $5.50 a bulb.

What are you guys using and how well do they work?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

We use those twirly mercury filed things when the price of them dropped and have a box of normal bulbs as temporary back up. Only replaced one of those twirly things in the last 4 years or so.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    We use those twirly mercury filed things when the price of them dropped and have a box of normal bulbs as temporary back up. Only replaced one of those twirly things in the last 4 years or so.
    Would hate to break one of those in the house.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Using some good high CRI LED floods for the most part. No complaints. Lots of light; good color.

Replaced the F40 fluorescents in the garage with LED retrofit kits. Color rendition doesn't matter there and they're brighter than the original lamps. Still want to do the workshop and my office that way, but have a full carton of T8 tubes...

Replaced the 150W PAR spotlights on the exterior with some nice 5000 lumen LED fixtures. When I turn those on, it might as well be daytime.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Would hate to break one of those in the house.
    B e exposed to far dagerous stuff over th years and still standing, Usually they don't break but just get old an tired.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Pretty much gone LED across the board and haven’t looked back. I love ‘em. Especially the ones I installed in the kitchen...

Rant: we rebuilt the kitchen in 2011 when we bought the house. (I say “rebuilt” instead of remodel because this really was a case of the original 1959 fitting being worn beyond economic repair.) Building codes at the time (California, sigh) insisted that kitchen needed to have recessed “energy efficient” can lights. LED was still really expensive in 2011 and not really quite there yet so they installed these cans with integrated ballasts that took tubes kind of like the not-twisted flavor of CFL with spade connectors. And those things were fracking the worst. They ran really hot, the light was harsh and undimmable, and the tubes burned out constantly. I’d swear they didn’t last as long as incandescents and they cost over ten bucks a pop. (Well over.)

A couple years ago I had it and decided to pull them all out and go LED, which took an afternoon of swearing getting the stupid ballasted cans out but only cost a little more than a full set of replacement tubes. The light is warmer, they’re dimmable, and cool to the touch. A genuine miracle of the modern age so far as I’m concerned.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

... oh yeah, the best part of those stupid tubes was they often broke when you tried to pull them out. A real gasser, literally.

Blog Entries

A neighbor built his 5000 sq. ft. McMansion back in the 90s. He happily showed me the house during construction. He must have had at least 50 of those recessed fluorescent light "can" type fixtures, complete with iron ballasts. He was proud that he got a generous energy credit for installing them instead of regular incandescent lighting. I looked him straight in the eye and said "you're going to eventually regret this". New-work type of fixtures with a big box hanging off one side, so they're not simple to replace.

I've since refrained from asking how his lighting fixtures are doing...

Yeah, I was pretty grumpy about having those things foisted off on me, but apparently the rules were:

1: Cans. You have to have recessed cans. Surface mount is impossible, recess the cans! and

2: If those cans have sockets that'll take a regular bulb you'll fail inspection. Period.

It was remarkable how they pretty much combined all the worst parts of individual CFLs and regular ballasted fluorescent tubes. I would have been way better off just using CFLs with their integrated ballasts from a cost standpoint (still not grasping exactly how the tubes without said ballast manage to be about three times more expensive) but, who knows, maybe sticking them in the can violates some fire code. Ironically the LED inserts I bought came in the box with threaded-to-standard-LED plug adapters so, again, if they'd let me have conventional cans it would have saved a ton of hassle.

At least the retrofit cans they used weren't *that* hard to pull out despite the stupid box hanging off them, but one small punchline is for some godforsaken reason they were 5.5" in diameter instead of the far more common 4" and 6" sizes. I blithely bought the 6" ones because I ignorantly thought the 6" measure must mean to the outside of the rim but, no, just a half-inch too big for the hole already cut in my ceiling. That's where the swearing came from, trimming the holes.

I use LED's throughout the house, but in my office I use incandescent because my DMR radio doesn't seem to like the LED's.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet