Image Map Image Map

Thread: New motherboards being shipped with odd DMI data

Default New motherboards being shipped with odd DMI data

I haven't built a PC in nearly 17 years, and yesterday I finally built a new computer after using the same machine for my desktop for 13 years (which was pre-built). Well, needless to say I'm a bit confused by the DMI data on this factory fresh motherboard. It's version number is reported as such: https://i.imgur.com/sxslx2j.png

To say I smirked like a child would be an understatement, but how often does something like this make it past QC these days? I'm kind of surprised honestly because while I know this board is release 2 version 1.0 based on the box, the DMI data.........well has nothing to do with PC's. lol
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Maybe it wants you to plug something into it...sorry couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by mR_Slug View Post
    Maybe it wants you to plug something into it...sorry couldn't resist.
    I guess they are really trying to push using all those USB ports. lol
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

4. Default

Now is your chance to submit your hardware info or 3DMark score and have that string show up in their online database!

The AMD 700-series chipset also caught my eye though... does the board use socket AM3+? And with normal BIOS instead of UEFI?

Blog Entries

Its an AM3+ with a BIOS from 2017 which is funny.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by bakemono View Post
    Now is your chance to submit your hardware info or 3DMark score and have that string show up in their online database!

The AMD 700-series chipset also caught my eye though... does the board use socket AM3+? And with normal BIOS instead of UEFI?
    Yes and yes. I have an overclocked FX-8320 installed, clocked at 4.3GHz.. Well, Gigabyte calls it a "Hybrid EFI" which seems to be nothing more than a BIOS with some kind of emulated EFI bootloader in ROM but not truly booting in UEFI. It's weird and I just install to an MBR partitioned disk. (It only does this for GPT support for boot drives larger than 2TB which I find useless for me anyway since I boot to a 480GB SSD anyway).