Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tandy 1000 Keyboard Adapter Reproduction

why not move to something more modern for this? I have build a USB adapter for my Fluke 9100 test gear that had a custom interface, maybe the same could be done here?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ki4swy View Post
    why not move to something more modern for this? I have build a USB adapter for my Fluke 9100 test gear that had a custom interface, maybe the same could be done here?
    Sure! Go for it! I am positive that it can be done, but I do not have any experience programming microcontrollers to do the job. I figured that since a product already exists, I did not need to reinvent the wheel here.

3. Default

So, I have not yet "given up" on this reproduction, but it is currently on the back burner at the moment...

In the meantime, it looks like Scott Baker published a design for some PS2 to Tandy adapters late last month. I laid out a variant of it which is quite a bit smaller and is designed to be basically an adapter cable. I am planning on putting some heatshrink around the PCB and just using it as is.

I finished building my initial version yesterday and it works great. I already modified the layout to be slightly smaller (20x50mm) and incorporates the holes for mounting the cable (I had forgotten them and had to drill them myself here)

20200602_183026196_iOS.jpg

It does require different wiring between the 1000/A/HD and the SX/TX. Scott used a couple of jumpers and a male-to-male DIN cable to get around this.. I figure the cable can just be made for one or the other. I only have a 1000A, so mine is wired up for that.

I'd love to try this on a SL2. The SL2 could use Tandy 1000 keyboards, and it would be cool to prove it works on a SL/SL2/SLE. Do you have any extra boards, parts, etc?

5. Default

The revised version of the PCB just shipped today, I should have them early next week.

6. Default

The new version has arrived, and is a good amount smaller than my first. I whipped one together and it works well. I just need to find a source of DIN7 cables that have consistent wire colors, as each and every cable I have has a different pattern. I also need to pick up some heat shrink large enough to fit around the board.

20200626_174947630_iOS.jpg20200626_182153144_iOS.jpg

That is so awesome! I will have to take a closer look at the project. I've been dreaming of something like this for a while now, but have never made the time to really attempt to make it happen. So glad to see someone has finally made the project come to fruition...and looks like a very simple an inexpensive project to make it happen. I'll have to give it a shot!

Thanks for sharing the info!

Wesley

How about a version with:

1. 7 Pin DIN jack on board, instead of solder pads for a cable
    2. PS2 Jack onboard
    3. XT to AT protocol conversion on board (Without modifying ROM etc, just add the converter circuit etc
    My Wish List: Vintage Mac SCSI->ETHERNET DaynaPORT LINK T DP0801 Manual, Make-It 486 (or other) 80286 upgrades, Hallock Systems gear / disk images, Copy II PC 'Enhanced' Option Board, Earth Computers ISA Z80 cards & TurboDOS disk. TRS-80 Model IV TurboDOS, Pulsar Little Big Board gear, Tandy Videotext Information System (VIS) for Model 16 Xenix

9. Default

I have not put a lot of time into either of these adapters for a bit.. I sort of burned myself out on my electronic projects early on in the COVID lockdowns and needed a break. That said, I am starting to make progress on them again.

I hope to have the "spit and polish" figured out on the PS2 inline adapter here in the next few days.. then I will be ready to start selling them.