Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: What currently available Apple II floppy emulation devices are there?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    610

    Default What currently available Apple II floppy emulation devices are there?

    Floppyemu seems to be done, HDDD A2 seems to be unavailable, wdrive out of stock, not sure what else is out there.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    Floppyemu seems to be done, HDDD A2 seems to be unavailable, wdrive out of stock, not sure what else is out there.
    All of contemporary apple2 fdd emulators are for now partial emulators and have their drawbacks especially when handling writing. All of them are using slow cheap processors that have no processing power nor firmware to handle new image file formats. Since you are located in US you have plenty of real floppy drives out there. There is nothing better than a cheap real working floppy drive (disk2 or clone). You have to clean its r/w head from time to time especially after using old diskettes.

    If you just need to load a file based games I do recommend you to use this web site and a browser on your smartphone for that purpose...http://asciiexpress.net/gameserver/
    Last edited by george; May 6th, 2020 at 05:54 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Finger Lakes, NY, USA
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    Floppyemu seems to be done
    Floppy Emu is in stock now at https://www.bigmessowires.com/floppy-emu/, though the acrylic case for it is out of stock until June. I have one and it works well for the little bit I've done with it on an Apple IIc.

    Ron

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zamp View Post
    Floppy Emu is in stock now at https://www.bigmessowires.com/floppy-emu/, though the acrylic case for it is out of stock until June. I have one and it works well for the little bit I've done with it on an Apple IIc.
    I wouldn't recommend it -- does not support writing of WOZ images. Reflashing firmware to support different platforms is another compromise one should live with.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Does the "hard drive" support some of these include have a lot of caveats as well?

    I was really envisioning using one as a "repository" of images that I could write to a blank DSDD floppy, and as a smartport compatible hard drive for the apples I have that could support it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    I wouldn't recommend it -- does not support writing of WOZ images. Reflashing firmware to support different platforms is another compromise one should live with.
    Honestly The floppy EMU was my first disk emulator for Apple and MAC machines. I ABSOLUTELY recommend it because of its versatility. Its my goto Bench floppy tool. Woz Image support isnt a deal breaker when I can use it on 68K macs, my LISA, and all my Apple II gear.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    Does the "hard drive" support some of these include have a lot of caveats as well?

    I was really envisioning using one as a "repository" of images that I could write to a blank DSDD floppy, and as a smartport compatible hard drive for the apples I have that could support it.
    The "hard drive" is 5 - 6 times (!) slower than an ordinary SCSI drive since floppyemu uses smartport.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Outer Mongolia
    Posts
    2,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    The "hard drive" is 5 - 6 times (!) slower than an ordinary SCSI drive since floppyemu uses smartport.
    Practically speaking... so what? Access time is practically zero so unless you're doing something extremely heavy like booting GS OS 6 the responsiveness of a Smartport drive is fine. If nothing else it's useful bonus functionality.

    Also, making write capability to Woz images a deal breaker is really a stretch. You don't need Woz for anything but copy-protected game disks, other formats are fine for casual enthusiast use 99% of the time. The fact that it *can* at least read them puts it leagues in front of any other Apple II disk emulator I know of.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Practically speaking... so what? Access time is practically zero so unless you're doing something extremely heavy like booting GS OS 6 the responsiveness of a Smartport drive is fine. If nothing else it's useful bonus functionality.

    Also, making write capability to Woz images a deal breaker is really a stretch. You don't need Woz for anything but copy-protected game disks, other formats are fine for casual enthusiast use 99% of the time. The fact that it *can* at least read them puts it leagues in front of any other Apple II disk emulator I know of.
    Well, wdrive supports woz writing to some degree and is twice cheaper and less buggy with woz format. For "casual enthusiast" the site I mentioned above is sufficient. A real floppy drive with a couple of diskettes would do a perfect addition to it and the experience would be authentic. No need to buy buggy (so far) floppy emulators is my advice.

  10. #10

    Default

    I have the floppy EMU as well and love it. If used in conjunction with a softSP card (in a iie in my case) it can also be used to serve up 32MB HD images. Just be careful as there are some wiring precautions you have to take if using it with a Disk ii controller and softSP card.

    Just got my Booti USB hard drive emulator a few days ago. So that is getting all the love at the moment. First impressions good. Really like that you can pick from multiple 32MB images at boot up.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •