Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IBM PC Case Sizes and front panel measurments

Question IBM PC Case Sizes and front panel measurments

Right so this is a bit of an oddball request, but I feel like this would be a good place to ask about it.

I am trying to build a replica case for the IBM XT and AT PC's and I need accurate dimensions of the cases and their front panels so that I can CNC/3D print the covers.

The reason behind is is pretty simple - these things cost a fortune, and on top of that they are pretty impossible to find where I'm at (Eastern Europe). I'd like to eventually build a sleeper PC in one of these as well, and gutting an original seems like a crime considering their rarity nowadays.

If anyone can take photos of the cases from the front/back/sides, and measure the dimensions for me I'd be forever grateful!

Hopefully bumping isn't an issue, I have gotten images of the IMB XT PC from a user on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/retrobattle...sizes/fpqxhk5/

And I modeled out the front face of it in solidworks:

Once I am fully done I will post the 3D files here and everywhere where I can

If someone could still measure an AT for me that would be wonderful!

Very nice work if I do say so myself.

Thank you!

I have contacted a couple of CNC places, but ultimately it would cost way too much to manufacture. So I did the most sensible thing and purchased a 3d printer - I will be making this! I'll post updates as I go along.

A little update. My 3d printer has arrived, and I have been experimenting with different fillaments, etc. I seem to have nailed down how to print stuff with a material called PETG which is pretty darn durable (very similar to ABS). Due to print volume limitations, I had to split the front face into 3 parts, but I will hide the seams once its all printed and put together with some sanding, primer, putty, and more sanding.

This is the front face with the drive mockups:

Once I split it all up this is what it looks like:

The little IBM XT logo will be the power button. I have also hidden some USB and Headphone jacks on the front of the case behind the floppy disk flap:

I have to admit, this is pretty fun to me. Can't wait to see how the prints turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Inu11 View Post
    Thank you!

I have contacted a couple of CNC places, but ultimately it would cost way too much to manufacture. So I did the most sensible thing and purchased a 3d printer - I will be making this! I'll post updates as I go along.
    Which 3D printer did you get? The Z-axis must be able to accommodate the entire length of the panel.

Blog Entries

If someone could still measure an AT for me that would be wonderful!
    Do you still need the measurements? I can see about getting them for you if you do, though I don't want to have to pull the faceplate off.

Also, that design is pretty awesome. I may need to see if I can get it printed out. A great excuse for me to make a nice sleeper machine.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Very nice work!
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by neosunrise View Post
    Which 3D printer did you get? The Z-axis must be able to accommodate the entire length of the panel.
    No worries, I split the model into 3 pieces, and did my research on materials beforehand. I purchased an Ender 3 Pro, and some PC Gray PETG fillament. PETG is great because it is less prone to warping during printing. After dialing in the print profile for the material, and a couple of test prints, I started printing the biggest piece:

Naturally if you had a bigger printer you could do one big piece all at once - sadly I don't have the resources for something like that, so this will have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    Do you still need the measurements? I can see about getting them for you if you do, though I don't want to have to pull the faceplate off.

Also, that design is pretty awesome. I may need to see if I can get it printed out. A great excuse for me to make a nice sleeper machine.
    Yes, I do! It would be greatly appreciated!

No need to rip anything off, If you could just get all the measurements similar to the ones I received from the user Cheese_is_here on reddit (https://imgur.com/a/48ocdj9) that would be wonderful.

Once I am done with the entire print, I will post the OBJ files for all this stuff, some tweaks will likely need to be made as I go along.
    Last edited by Inu11; May 20th, 2020 at 01:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Yes, I do! It would be greatly appreciated!

No need to rip anything off, If you could just get all the measurements similar to the ones I received from the user Cheese_is_here on reddit (https://imgur.com/a/48ocdj9) that would be wonderful.

Once I am done with the entire print, I will post the OBJ files for all this stuff, some tweaks will likely need to be made as I go along.
    Ok, I'll see about measuring and what not this week and shoot them over to you in a PM.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10