Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Windows 3.1 with 5x86 crashes. Incompatible?

Default Running Windows 3.1 with 5x86 crashes. Incompatible?

I've installed a copy of Windows 3.1 on my PS/2 Model 70 486, but whenever I try to launch it while using a 5x86 in my system, the splash screen will show for only a few seconds before returning me from the DOS prompt. When I tried putting the original 486DX 25 back in the system, windows worked fine. I've tried this with both an AMD 5x86 133ADZ as well as a Cyrix 5x86 100GP. Both 5x86's were used with a voltage regulator, with the AMD set to 4x and the Cyrix set to 3x using the jumpers on the voltage regulator. Is this a problem from the voltage regulator/clock multiplier adapter thing, or is Windows 3.1 just incompatible with 5x86's?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by willmurray461 View Post
    I've installed a copy of Windows 3.1 on my PS/2 Model 70 486, but whenever I try to launch it while using a 5x86 in my system, the splash screen will show for only a few seconds before returning me from the DOS prompt. When I tried putting the original 486DX 25 back in the system, windows worked fine. I've tried this with both an AMD 5x86 133ADZ as well as a Cyrix 5x86 100GP. Both 5x86's were used with a voltage regulator, with the AMD set to 4x and the Cyrix set to 3x using the jumpers on the voltage regulator. Is this a problem from the voltage regulator/clock multiplier adapter thing, or is Windows 3.1 just incompatible with 5x86's?
    Would it be possible for you to load up and run W95 or W98 as a test just to eliminate a mess of hardware troubleshooting? If either OS loads and run properly, then you can take a look at something going in within W3.1 itself.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Wrong video driver....
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

At the DOS prompt, try typing "win /s" instead of just "win" and see if that changes anything.

I guess maybe I could try running win95. I hadn't done it earlier because the machine only has a floppy drive and 160MB ESDI HDD. I guess I could stick the 21 or install floppies in one at a time if I have a lot of free time. Anyway, booting windows in standard mode with win /s does work, but hopefully I'll be able to run it in 386 enhanced mode eventually... I ran win /b and the final line in the bootlog was something along the lines of initdone TSRQuery...

6. Default

Windows 3.1 certainly can run on a 5x86. However there are differences between a 5x86 and a plain i486DX that can cause trouble if the BIOS does not have full support. Do you have a means to configure L1 cache writethrough/writeback for instance? For the Cyrix at least, there is a command line tool you can get to toggle various settings. You could probably get Windows to run stable by experimenting with that.

Going off on a tangent, but have you tried under clocking the 5x86 (if it's possible - I think they may have hard-set clock multipliers) and seeing if that stabilises things? I had this with a K6-2 board where the 500Mhz CPU was solid as a rock in DOS but fell over in Windows. It worked when underclocked to 400Mhz, in the end it was traced to a failed electrolytic cap which when swapped out fixed everything and the CPU could be clocked back up.

I used CHKCPU to look at the cpu settings, and the cache is configured for write-through, which I think is good? I also can't under clock the chip below x3 due to the way the adapter I'm using works, and at x3, windows will not run. Strangely, it will run every so often randomly, but when windows closes the machine reboots...Strange... I've had this happen twice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by willmurray461 View Post
    I used CHKCPU to look at the cpu settings, and the cache is configured for write-through, which I think is good? I also can't under clock the chip below x3 due to the way the adapter I'm using works, and at x3, windows will not run. Strangely, it will run every so often randomly, but when windows closes the machine reboots...Strange... I've had this happen twice.
    Might be time to do a memory check.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

I've run a variety of both IBM and Cyrix 5x86s and AMD -ADW and -ADZ PGA CPUs in a PowerLeap interposer and heatsink with fan package, as well as Gainbery and Evergreen SMT AMD486DX5 CPU upgrades in a number of motherboards and PS/2s. You might mention which motherboard and BIOS you're using, as that's possibly a root cause, as the random lockup and/or reset is most unusual in my experience.