Image Map Image Map

Thread: DIY keyboard for 8032-SK and similar at (almost) no cost

Default DIY keyboard for 8032-SK and similar at (almost) no cost

Since my spare 8032-sk is alive again, I needed a keyboard to replace the missing, original one. I decided for a low cost project using what I had at home only (except for the buttons).

I got a broken PS/2 keyboard somebody gave me years ago, I opened it, I kept the internal sheets (the two layers with the traces and the contacts) to be used as reference. I then removed the useless keys.
    I then took two pcb boards (I hadn't one big enough), slap them together and I used the sheets to mark the positions of the key with a nail and an hammer (rough, yes, I know).
    I could use my laser printer and some smart software to make the pcb scheme, but I was so lazy that I decided to paint the traces directly with a permanent marker, and add some jumpers.
    I used tactile smd buttons directly pressed by the keys, and an old printer cable as keyboard cable. Where it was needed, I put some paper tape on the keys to correct the wrong character.

I spent about 4 USD to buy 100 smd button and a couple of days of work - or less.
    It's bad, rough, ugly, nothing you can be proud of, and of course the tactile buttons will never have the same feeling at touch of a real keyboard, but it works and, hey, I respected the quarantine!

0.jpg
    The keyboard, the two pcb virgin boards and the two sheets

2.jpg
    The pcb, made with a permanent marker and some patience.

1.jpg
    the jumpers

4.jpg
    The keyboard with the smd buttons soldered on.
    I also wrote something about the covid-19 on my pcb; I always write some silly sentences on my pcb... it's funny to read it 10 o 20 years later, LOL

5.jpg
    the "hairy" side of the keyboard...

6.jpg
    the result... Since the keyboard will pass for a better beta test, I simply covered most of the holes where I removed the keys to avoid something can fall inside.
    I planned to fill them with some resin in order to improve the visual... but I'm almost sure I will never do that, LOL

7.jpg
    and finally, the test.

Very nice idea. I hope you had a lot of fun!
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
    Very nice idea. I hope you had a lot of fun!
    a lot of fun, sure!
    I needed (not sure why) a keyboard for the spare PET, AND I also needed something to do while I'm "quarentineing" here at home, LOL

I was thinking of doing something kind of similar to build a keyboard to use with a bare Tandy 1000 HX motherboard but I ended up finding a very hackable old terminal keyboard in my junk pile that I could resolder the matrix on. That's a pretty awesome bodge!
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    ...That's a pretty awesome bodge!
    "Awesome" indeed...