Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z80 peripherals - was they used by OS's or applications or both?

Blog Entries

Yeah, probably getting the name wrong.

I seem to remember a facility for RBBS where a user-written overlay could use the host BBS drivers. Too many years ago to remember the details.
    ---------------------------
    There were also systems with memory-mapped video. I don't know what you'd do about that.

Quote Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
    All great points whartung - So far I've only made 8080 emulation code and it is done at the "instruction level" and no lower. I'm pondering how to deal with interrupts, but the truth is that if the emulator doesn't need to interrupt anything, then it is like having the chip with the interrupt lines disconnected. I just wonder what CP/M software in general tries to talk to specific hardware - is it enough to say one should emulate other components like the SIO/DART mentioned above. At that point you are moving from emulating just a CPU to trying to emulate more.
    It really depends on the purpose of your emulator. I have one that I use for building software, and it only runs standard CP/M software and thus does no hardware emulation except for the CPU (and emulates CP/M, like yours). I have others that are meant to simulate specific hardware environments (Kaypro, Heathkit) so that I can develop system software, and those must emulate (most of the) chips and interrupts. I build all these using common software components (especially the CPU), to minimize development/maintenance costs.
    - Doug

Quote Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
    I just wonder what CP/M software in general tries to talk to specific hardware - is it enough to say one should emulate other components like the SIO/DART mentioned above.
    I think it depends on the specific software you aim for. My emulator does not use interrupts and implements both disk and terminal through I/O ports using my own scheme. Most software seems to deal with it just fine.

The most important parts are (a) the terminal emulation, and (b) the serial port for communication. I've chosen ADM-3A (seems more widely supported than ANSI) and in my usecase, communication software wouldn't work. At some point, I need to implement CP/NET though.

Quote Originally Posted by Svenska View Post
    .... At some point, I need to implement CP/NET though.
    Yes, it can be handy. I've done a few implementations of it, if you want to kick around ideas.
    - Doug

Quote Originally Posted by durgadas311 View Post
    Yes, it can be handy. I've done a few implementations of it, if you want to kick around ideas.
    I'd be interested. If enough people are then maybe we could have a new thread just on implementing CP/NET.

Quote Originally Posted by durgadas311 View Post
    I'm very interested. My goal is to provide access to the host file system and to my understanding, only CP/NET allows that on a stock BDOS. (I'm not going to synthesize a file system from a folder, getting write support to work would be painful.)