Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tandy XENIX v3.3

Quote Originally Posted by dlightman View Post
    Thanks a ton for the con driver it makes using the console so much better! I like the T2K keyboard much a lot more than the MII/M16B or M12/16B/6000 style.

Just saw your earlier post with the emails from Shank. I believe this pdf contains Franks notes from when he was building T2K keyboard support into z80ctl during 3.2 and this doc is the instructions he provided for modifying the keyboard which has a detailed information on the scan codes and what not. Shoot them over to Shank if they'll be useful to what he's working on.
    ok, have the files—thanks. m2/16... keyboard outputs ascii, the 2k keyboard is more like a ps/2 keyboard in the way it outputs codes for key presses. i’ll start looking at the changes i need to make to my adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by mloewen View Post
    I was going to offer a fixed image. And of course, I meant 'fsck /dev/rfd0'.

On another note, I had to update my Software Development System from 3.0 to 3.2 before the Xenix 3.3 upgrade. I didn't realize that I needed the "Install 1" disk from the Xenix 3.2 set, until I got to that point in the update. Of course I didn't have one on hand, and the update process couldn't be interrupted. I had to hit the Reset button so I could reconnect my 8" drive to my media system to make another "Install 1" disk, then fsck the 6000 hard drive and floppy. It would have been nice to have a warning about the needed "Install 1" disk.
    Thanks for that catch. I'll update the README for the 3.3 upgrade.

3. Default

I just installed this on my Model 16 (with Tandy 6000 8 MHz Upgrade) last night. So far, so good. I don't have a Tandy 2000 keyboard, so I haven't been able to play with the virtual consoles yet. The items coming from Frank Durda IV's collection are very exciting!

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    The files were obtained in the trove of software that was recently purchased from the Frank Durda IV estate.

The story goes that certain people in Tandy were actively looking to kill the 6000 so they did not want to do anything to prolong its lifespan. Remember, Tandy was selling x86 based machines that could run XENIX at this time, such as the 4000, that were competing in the same market as the 6000. Even the XENIX 3.2 release took a lot of effort by the 68000 proponents, like Frank Durda, to get approval to get out the door. Frank details a lot of this conflict in his usenet postings in comp.sys.tandy.
    I'd love to hear more about this - who spearheaded it, who went, and what all did you get? Was it a public auction or something? I saw a picture by someone in All Things Tandy RadioShack of a huge U-Haul of Frank's stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by acadiel View Post
    I'd love to hear more about this - who spearheaded it, who went, and what all did you get? Was it a public auction or something? I saw a picture by someone in All Things Tandy RadioShack of a huge U-Haul of Frank's stuff.
    Checkout this episode of Trash Talk: https://www.trs80trashtalk.com/2020/...ode-35-of.html