Image Map Image Map

Thread: I need help with archiving a source code for a alternative OS for a Commodore 64

Default I need help with archiving a source code for a alternative OS for a Commodore 64

Hello folks, I come back with wanting some help with trying to preserve a potential interesting and odd bit of history.

Almost 2 years ago, I bought two Commodore 64's that came with a bunch of extra hardware from a yard sale. The person I bought it from had developed and sold a Commodore 64 based dynamometer system (I think I am right about what it was for). I have his specially modified Commodore 64 he used for his development work, test eproms related to the dynamometer daughter board, some of the dynamometer daughterboards themselves, schematics for the daughterboard, and the floppy of the source code of the OS he made. I don't have the actual full dynamometer system, which I am thankful for since I would have no space for that.

There is one concern I have. When I got the lot, here was a small bend in the source code floppy. I hope that doesn't ruin the chance of saving the source code. He was excited by the possibility of someone looking at his code and all of the neat things he was able to make it do. There was apparently stuff his OS did visually that he claimed that Commodore Basic wasn't able to do. Before anyone asks, I made sure to get permission when buying the lot to have the source dumped and archived on the internet for preservation. I forgot the name of the person, but am friends with one of his grandsons, so I can ask him for the name if I need to.

Anyone want to help me get the source code and probably the test eproms dumped? I don't have the hardware to do this myself.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwheel View Post
    Hello folks, I come back with wanting some help with trying to preserve a potential interesting and odd bit of history.

Almost 2 years ago, I bought two Commodore 64's that came with a bunch of extra hardware from a yard sale. The person I bought it from had developed and sold a Commodore 64 based dynamometer system (I think I am right about what it was for). I have his specially modified Commodore 64 he used for his development work, test eproms related to the dynamometer daughter board, some of the dynamometer daughterboards themselves, schematics for the daughterboard, and the floppy of the source code of the OS he made. I don't have the actual full dynamometer system, which I am thankful for since I would have no space for that.

There is one concern I have. When I got the lot, here was a small bend in the source code floppy. I hope that doesn't ruin the chance of saving the source code. He was excited by the possibility of someone looking at his code and all of the neat things he was able to make it do. There was apparently stuff his OS did visually that he claimed that Commodore Basic wasn't able to do. Before anyone asks, I made sure to get permission when buying the lot to have the source dumped and archived on the internet for preservation. I forgot the name of the person, but am friends with one of his grandsons, so I can ask him for the name if I need to.

Anyone want to help me get the source code and probably the test eproms dumped? I don't have the hardware to do this myself.

I'm not the right guy to help with the eproms (too far from you to help with an eprom programmer), but dumping the source code from a floppy is quite easy if you have a 1540/1541/1571 (and maybe 1581) drive; you can interface it to a PC using a cable (should be XM1541) and cbm4win (https://spiro.trikaliotis.net/cbm4win).

First a question: do you have a drive? What you can do at least is to make a copy of the disk. If that works out fine then you know that the floppy is still readable and you have a backup disk.
    I live in the Netherlands. But if you have to send a floppy, it doesn't matter IMHO if you have to send to someone in the USA or to Europe. I just happened to provide this service for someone on the list about two month ago.

I also can read the EPROM. If the floppy isn't readable anymore, I have the tools to re-engineer the BIN into source code.

If interested, visit my site so you can send me an email.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

I have a Excelerator Plus drive that came with the lot. I also have my drive for my C128 somewhere but it's latch is currently broke.

Looking through the floppies I have yesterday. The current work disc is what has the bends in it. I also found some other floppies that seem to be three different versions of the program.

As for the eproms I have. Most are socketed, not soldered, and I have cartridges with sockets and some unpopulated cartridge pcbs. A few of the eproms seem to be personal backup copies the person made of some retail software. The others could be to be related to this and one is labeled show.

Here is a album of pictures of the stuff. No flash was used.
    https://imgur.com/a/gBVnlDt