Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint matching for a PDP8/e

Default Paint matching for a PDP8/e

The paint of the rectangular aluminium frame around the front panel of my project 8/e needs redone, does anyone know the correct shade of spray enamel light beige that would be an exact or close match for the original?

I need the same information for an 8/a that I am working on.
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

Quote Originally Posted by firedome View Post
    The paint of the rectangular aluminium frame around the front panel of my project 8/e needs redone, does anyone know the correct shade of spray enamel light beige that would be an exact or close match for the original?
    That's a common problem. It has been discussed on here more than once. I managed to find and post a list of the colors that DEC used originally. IIRC it had the names of the colors and the manufacturer's part numbers but no Pantone info. I'm not even sure if Pantone color specs existed when these machines were made. You could probably scroll back and locate that thread or do a web search like I did. But another problem you might run in to is that your machine very likely isn't the same color it was when it left the factory. So using the original paint shade for a touch up isn't going to give the results you want.

Pantone info does exist for the colors IBM used on the PC/XT/AT machines, and also what Apple used on the Apple II.

Then, if you haven't given up yet and just painted it something close, there's the issue of recreating the pebbled texture many of the original finishes had.

Good Luck.
    "It's all bits on the bus, Cowboy! It's all bits on the bus!" -- Tom Beck, #1ESS Instructor, Southern Bell Opa Locka Training Center

Quote Originally Posted by firedome View Post
    This document:
    http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/p...dard_Dec82.pdf

suggests the color you are looking for is MUN 9.5:
    https://munsell.com/color-blog/zombi...notation-n9-5/

Translating that to something modern and available is left as an excercise for the user .

Vince

Blog Entries

When I restored my pdp11 I found a shop that could match the existing color of the panel and make it up in a spray can. Then I striped the panel to bare metal, primed and painted back to the original.
    Spread the joy of Vintage Addiction

-->www.chronworks.com/<--->www.i8008.net/<--

Apparently you can get MUN color matched paint at:

www.myperfectcolor.com/search/?q=Munsell+n9.5

Don

Good info, thanks.
    I'm really bad at color matching, every time I pick paint for a room and start painting it looks nothing like I thought it would! lol

I'll probably end up taking it to Home Despot and trying to match it best I can among the zillions of cans on the shelf.

If nothing is really close I'll take it to an auto paint jobber, they can do what 8008guy suggests, at much higher price,
    anyone priced auto paint lately? I'm in the vintage car world, doing a paint job requires a big lottery win these days!

If I find a close match in a can I'll report it here. Went thru the same thing looking for paint to match traffic signals,
    there's so many spray paints out there the chances are fairly good.
    Last edited by firedome; May 11th, 2020 at 03:41 AM.

Blog Entries

Eh, I never bought into that paint job hype... Save the paint for my vintage computers.

http://www.kobrabytes.com
    Spread the joy of Vintage Addiction

-->www.chronworks.com/<--->www.i8008.net/<--

I had started to do a page about DEC colors, when I re-disovered this:
    http://www.chdickman.com/pdp8/DECcolors/

I may still putter on, as I also wanted to do some comparative swatches with the nearby RAL and Pantone colors.

Vince

Interesting... I'd describe the 8/e faceplate perimeter frame as off-white, and don't see it there in the chart.